Monday, January 18

Turning Another Leaf

The butterfly plant I had been growing was accidentally clogged by water and with my absence from gardening in two weeks time, it withered and died. I looked at the plant in its sad state and took my cutting shears to cut the plant from its branches to its main trunk. I looked back at the beauty it manifested through the years and the happiness it gave me, watching the flowers soar its petals like wings. It is now gone.

Friendship is like the butterfly plant. At its heightened stage, the beauty it manifolds capture even the most minute spirit. The small talks, the glances, the smiles, the tears, the intrigues, the gossips and many others become a concoction of delight to friendship. When great efforts are poured towards its growth, a similar great camaraderie results in the end.

Yet the beauty of friendship holds long only when it is nurtured and ventured. For there will come some time that neglect becomes a regular visitor while the option of starting one with a new acquaintance becomes a possibility. The seemingly happy dispositions has now started to fade. The link between two individuals have started to tarnish. It is always in doing much that kills anything - too much love, too much hatred, too much concern, too much ongoings.

I cannot save the butterfly plant because it is in its dying stage. As for some friendships built, it is indeed difficult to start anew when someone had closed its doors for me. As for to save a friendship gone, it is indeed a gargantuan task to find something from nothing.

A leaf is to turn when what of the past simply cannot be lived again.

5 comments:

  1. Friendships... they sometimes die a dramatic death, sometimes a natural quiet one.

    Absence makes the heart go fonder, but sometimes it makes the heart forget. And also, too much presence just drowns it at times and like a sand held firmly, you soon realize one by one, each grain slips off your closed palm.

    This saddens me as I've known this fact from experience. I value friendship almost like how I value family.

    Sometimes I just wish I could keep everyone in my embrace. But sometimes you just grow apart. Even best of friends can become strangers.

    *sigh*

    but I do hope that when hearts that knew each names along time ago, bump onto each other... they'd recognise each other.

    Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed, friendship true friendship is lasting, but neglect will cause it to crumble. hays. it's very hard to nurture friendships especially in these times. people are too busy with each of their own priorities... i think i may have lost a lot of friends this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. indeed, friendship, true friendship is lasting, but neglect will cause it to crumble. hays. it's very hard to nurture friendships especially in these times. people are too busy with each of their own priorities... i think i may have lost a lot of friends this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jeff,

    Very profound and inspiring. Thanks for being there and for being a silent reader and observer. I do treasure the short meet, and I know that we'll be together through blogging.

    Something to think deeply, " knew each names along, bump..., they'd recognize each other."

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ lucas

    we lose some, gain some, but we regret losing what we could have maintained and treasured. their absence is now felt and we write about them. hopefully, we learn from this experience so that if someone comes, we learn to appreciate their presence.

    cheers lucas!

    ReplyDelete