Friday, January 22

To Be Me

Dear Grand mum,

 I used to remember the times where you asked me to look at some pictures of our Chinese saints and you had been encouraging me to draw them.  I remembered getting some money afterwards when I’m done with each figures.  It was a good way to show my creative side aside from the money I’d earned too. (Thus my creativity.)

When things were tough, you had always been there for me especially when you gave me your savings to send me to school.  I recalled crying because the last day of registration was that certain day and still, dad had not given me the fee for enrollment. (Thus my love of learning.)

 Busy days in the kitchen had always been our everyday routine. You’ll send me to the market to purchase things for the restaurant. You always give me the change. I enjoyed seeing you and granddad do the dishes.  As I looked to learn, I simply savoured the smell from all those tasty Chinese noodles. (Thus my culinary appreciation.)

You were there to help me with my Chinese homework and together we read newspapers and books for me to translate. There was an instance when you helped me picked up the pieces when I was down and out. Your listening ears had been my constant companions. (Thus my generous heart.)

I do miss you so when you passed away many years ago without my knowledge. I mourned your absence in my everyday dealings and I always have dreams about you.  You had been an inspiration. I am always guided by your words of wisdom and your innate capacity to give and love. (Thus my dedication to succeed.)

Thank you for being you and for giving me a life to treasure. You’ll be proud of me. Until we meet! 

Love,

Jonathan

P.S. It’s my birthday today and I owe a lot of things from you. Your life will always be my shining example. Thank you for being a great part of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment