Thursday, March 13

Lobel's The Mouse and the Seashore

A mouse told his mother and father that he was going on a trip to the seashore.

"I have made my decision," said the Mouse firmly. "I have never seen the ocean, and it is high time that I did. Nothing can make me change my mind."

More than a decade ago, I made my decision to leave the country because I found no peace being with my family. I treaded on thin grounds, trying to know myself and my capacity as a person and I was equally lost. Moving away was the best answer to escape. 

Even before morning had ended, the mouse came to know trouble and fear. 

With only a hundred dollars in my pocket, I took a one way plane to Thailand and was met with derisions from the people I worked with. I remembered not being invited to a trip my fellow teachers embarked while being looked down by some of the people in school.

By afternoon the Mouse had been attacked by birds and dogs. He had lost his way several times. He was bruised and bloodied. He was tired and frightened.


When I moved out of that toxic environment, I was met with doubts because of my younger age and with unfairness in terms of remuneration. I was working double time, to show how good I am as a teacher. There were more racists comments because of my origin. 

None of these hardships and everyday battles were known to my parents. I never tell them because they have their own issues to take care as well. 


At evening, the Mouse slowly climbed the last hill and saw the seashore spreading out before him. All the colors of the sunset filled the sky.

After a number of years, I was able to prove to others that colour does not educate children, it is the person. I was able to grow in confidence in facing truths. I became more solid and unbroken by negative remarks. I became stronger and more matured.

"How beautiful!" cried the Mouse. "I wish that Mother and Father were here to see this with me."

With so much done, I became in love with traveling and gardening. I went away for days and for weeks alone and enjoyed the company of new friends met and old friends resurrected. 

I became witness to nature's wonders. I nurtured seeds and grew them in my garden. I took care of plants just like they were my own little children. I embraced the beauty that surrounds me everyday and wishing I am sharing the joy with my parents. 

The Mouse sat silently on the top of the hill. He was overwhelmed by a feeling of deep peace and contentment. 

My mom passed away a year ago and I know in my heart that she is happy in Heaven. My father and I have been building bridges what with our years of animosity and void conversations. I am no longer as strong as before in facing life's challenges. I am happy with what I have and all I long for is peace. 

One day my story will also end like the mouse, silently sitting down and reminiscing all the great things in his life.

(Arnold Lobel is one great author and among his many works, I do like the book entitled Fables. This book itself received The Caldecott Medal and was published in 1980.)

13 comments:

  1. Mama Mouse must be very proud. Surely everything will be beyond alright very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang galing galing mo talaga magrelate ng mga stories sa personal life o sa mga bagay... clap clap clap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bigla ko tuloy naalala yung eb naten nung kinukwento nyo sa akin ang ilan jan sa mga nakapost sa taas.

    Sa kabila ng lahat ng mga hardships at rough road na inyong pinagdaanan, are worth a moment of happiness in the end naman diba sir Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Olivr,

    Yes, everything is alright. There is no use sitting down and pouting. We should all move one and that's what I did.

    Thanks Rix,

    Nakakahiya naman, may palakpak. Naririnig ko pa siya, lol! Salamat.

    Thanks Fiel,

    Yes, mas marami ang successes rather than failures. However, without failures there will never be a challenge to change and be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ang ganda naman ng comparison mo Jonathan.
    You are really an inspiration!
    I can see myself almost in your story too, although it was my father who passed away many years ago. I know, he is happy gor me too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ms. Joy,

    Your life is an inspiration to all as well. When I wrote this post, I was thinking of some of the few people who had been inspirational and one of them is you. May we continue to be blessed as we share our lives to others through our stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. talas ng tenga rinig hanggang thailand lolz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sobrang nakaka-challenge and inspiring tong post na to. I am currently composing a write up about Hindi Natitinag ang Pusong Pilipino and this one me an idea on some pointers :) thanks Cher Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rix,

    Hindi lang matalas, nangangati pa, pinag uusapan yata, lol!

    Cher Kat,

    Dami mo namang ginagawa, puro papel nga lang. Good luck sa writing mo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Ms. Balut,

    Smart mouse... Smart me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete