Monday, March 1

Indulgence, Passion and A New Lease of Life


I received a phone call from a friend and I was being invited to be part of a charity event. I agreed because it was an invitation from a friend. Little did I know that this is going to be the best part of my life as a teacher, as an artist, and as a person.

The first person who welcomed me upon arrival at the hall was my former principal. She was the most influential in my life as a person and as a teacher because she gave me the opportunity to excel in my chosen endeavour. She was instrumental in my growth and will never be forgotten.


The tour gave me an opportunity to meet four of Thailand's finest artists: Pinaree Sanpitak, Chatchai Puipia, Misiem Yipintsoi, and Jakkai Siributr. Their works spoke visibly, intellectually and emotionally to the senses of the visitors. Coming from different backgrounds and beliefs, the artists rendered their creative juices through canvasses, sculptures, textiles, potteries, and other mediums. Their talents showcased not only the creative geniuses in them but also the dedication, love, sentiments, political views, and spirituality. Devoid of any superficial agendas, the artworks depicted were shining examples of their thoughts, feelings, interests and viewpoints in life.

The concept and the context juxtaposed to create individuality's and uniqueness to all the art pieces. Each piece talked about a certain time in the artists' lives and set up a landmark that brought a new dimension to art history in Thailand.

Within the tour, I met and was indeed excited to see familiar faces throughout my day's journey to four of the artists' havens. People who had been part of my journey as a teacher ad people who had played a crucial role to what I am right now. These were the people who never wavered in their belief in my capacity and role as a teacher. These were my family, the friends I left for greener pastures. They are still my family and I feel overwhelmed by their generosity, acceptance and spirits.

Thus the day was a day of indulgence, a day exploding with creative ideas, a day of art and friendships. Thus the day was a day of passion, not of the artists alone but of mine in terms of my love and adherence to things artsy and also to the lost embers of connection. Thus the day is a new lease of life, a sort of reckoning of what I had lost and wanted to recall. I wanted a new me. I wanted what Jonathan is all about and the time to start is just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment