Sunday, May 9

Mother, One and Only

"I have a surprise for you mom. A necklace!"
"How small!"
"Would you like me to put it around you."
"It doesn't matter."
"Ok, here you are. Bye!"


I left my mom's place bitter and crying. I just couldn't stand the snobbish acceptance every time I have something to give her. My heart was being slashed for each and every word I heard.

"Ma, some money to keep. By the way, where's the necklace I gave you?"
"You gave me one? I don't recall."
"Mom, I gave you one and you didn't even say thank you."
"I don't remember."


Again, I turned my back and cried. This time, the tears were really running down my cheeks not because she wasn't interested with the necklace but because she is losing her memory. She is becoming sickly caused by her many years of battle with diabetes, a tumor growing inside her breast, and cataract. I retreated to my silent mode , still with tears in my eyes as I leave the house. It was unbearable.

I remember my mom teaching me how to draw pictures when I was young. I remember drawing a cockroach and had never forgotten the steps she showed me. I remember my mom waking up early in the morning so as to prepare breakfast, help us with our school uniforms and send us to the school bus. I remember her running to the streets when she heard that I was hit by a bus. I remember her sobbing when my dad was mad at her for being beautiful.

I remember lots of things but she doesn't anymore. The memories we built throughout these lifetime will cease to exist. Good that there were photographs and stories that had kept the memories intact so that when we have the time to sit down again, I'll show the photos and tell her the stories and reminisce all the good times.

I do regret not being with her all the time, in sickness, in pain, and even in good health. My chosen path was brought about by my inner desire to escape and build my own life. Yet in my separation with her, she is always thought of and loved for all eternity. She brought me up to become a fine individual who love, care, and respect not only the people around me but also God.

I dedicate the day to her marvellous life as a mother to me, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. It feel wrong to have read this and not say something.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete