Thursday, December 24

The Happy Prince

Illustrated by Walter Crane
The Happy Prince book is teaching me kindness in many levels.  As the prince who is now a statue felt the need to help the poor, he commissioned a swallow to do the job for him.  First, he gave away the ruby on his sword then sacrificing his two sapphire eyes and lastly, scraping all the gold embellished on his body. All these were done to help a woman with a sick child, a writer who is hungry, and a girl who was being punished for not able to bring money back home. 

I am no Happy Prince and have nothing of what he had.  And this Christmas, all those messages of sharing and giving are nothing if they are but mere words with no actions.  The story reminds me to show it and share something of what I have, and to put them to work.


I have no time for many things but I have countless thoughtful insights about each person I meet and see.  They are kept in my mind and heart and will be written in different pieces come next year.


I have no money to buy presents to share but with my meager savings, I will put a smile to those who are dearest to me with small tokens of my appreciation for their support and help this year.  


I have no promises to others but I have the temerity and heart to extend my thanks with a smile and a hug once we meet again. For such companionship is enhanced by physical gestures of warmth, not only in words but also in actions. 


I have nothing much but believe me when I say that loyalty paves a stronghold in my relationship with people.  As long as I feel them as solidly genuine, I can become their truest friend. 



Merry Christmas everyone!

9 comments:

  1. I remember reading the book by Oscar Wilde back when I was still in college Sir. It's refreshing to be reminded by it's morals. Thank you for sharing its idea here Sir. I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season Sir, merry merry Christmas!!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selflessness and Sacrifice. Two bold words meant for someone with a brave heart.

    We all have our own sides of The Happy Prince. We can only be truly happy when we share a part or our entire self to others. No money nor material thing can ever measure to that.

    Merry Christmas Cher Jo! Can't wait to read next year's stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Cristine! There are times that I need to be reminded of how I should speak, act, and think. The reminders can be a story once told, a book read or an experience on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diificult to do Cher Kat but worth trying. As we build our lives, whether by material gain and by experiences, we should never let our hearts forget to share and give back in return.

    I still have many stories for December but I guess they could be told in January instead. Happy New Year Kat and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a funny and simple person, yet with very strong mind & words.

    I often believe that doing a silent prayer for someone is more precious and meaningful than to give them costly presents, useless gifts and meaningless promises.

    Merry Christmas and a Healthier New Year 2016 to you Jonathan.

    I have just said a silent prayer for you to get married next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks TM, and for that prayer, hopefully not. I am old to be married. If you only knew what I really like, not a lovelife, but something peaceful like a journey away from this world, I will be most happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Erik,

    Help me put the pieces together.

    If there will be one, would it be silly to invite the one being married?

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete