Friday, August 22

Next Stop: Roppongi and Shibuya

Tokyo Midtown
Roppongi is a town of entertainment that offers exciting nightlife as well as huge commercial facilities with features such as theatres and art galleries.

Tokyo Midtown consists of three zones: Galleria, Plaza and Garden Terrace. Each has shops, restaurants, offices, hotels, gardens, and museums. Galleria is home to The Suntory Museum of Art and to photography exhibitions at FujiFilm Square.

The Garden Terrace has an ongoing exhibit at that time called Midtown Meets Godzilla. It would be really good to have a photo taken with Godzilla but I do not have a monopod with me to take my selfie. There are also some sculptures around the garden.

Midtown Meets Godzilla

National Art Centre
The National Art Centre has an extensive collection on display in japan's largest exhibition space. The building was designed by Kisho Kurokawa, a famous Japanese architect. There is a restaurant and a cafe inside, so it's a great place to stop for a break. The souvenir shop is indeed a veritable house of interesting finds. Though steep in prices, they are for keeps. 

I had the opportunity to view for the second time collection of paintings from the Musee d'Orsay from Paris as the exhibit was about The Birth of Impressionism. My walk around the museum reminded me of my walk at the original museum in France many years ago. There were many Japanese tourists at that time of my visit. This time, in Japan itself, the locals were very visible, appreciative and supportive of arts. 

After Roppongi, I visited Shibuya, a town where stillness and motion come together, with its crowd of people seeking the latest fashion in the downtown area and its quiet and cultural townscape once you cross the street.

I passed by Shibuya 109 thinking that I will be able to find what I was looking for and ending up shattered because it was a fashion building geared towards women's clothing and accessories. I walked through Takeshita Dori, a street lined with stores containing miscellaneous character and idol goods popular among teens. I didn't get anything except for a fan since the day was becoming hot. I finally got what I was looking for when I stumbled upon a building called Kiddy Land. Finally!

There's more to this area than shopping. It's a great place to see trendy fashion especially among the youth.
If I had more time, I could probably sat down in one of the open cafes and do nothing but observe people. But tourists don't do that, they go, go, go until their feet become sore and tired. 

Tip #7- It's hot in the summer so a change of shirt is always recommended. Also, keeping oneself hydrated throughout the trip will do good.

Tip#8- Getting lost is a waste of time so be patient. I take photos of where I was and I ask the location of that landmark when I couldn't find my way back.


11 comments:

  1. ikaw na ang bagong mag-a-outshine kay Dora lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your last tip. Dapat talaga planado din yung mga byahe mo para hindi masayang yung oras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo nga Rix, at hindi pa ito tapos ah. After Japan, may isa pang bansa then yung mini travels ko pa, ha,ha,ha. Pero masaya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ish,

    Planado dapat kasi may budget eh. However, when i visited Japan, wala akong budget basta ba masaya ang trip. Sulit naman, walang pagsisisi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grabe, sobrang ganda talaga sa Japan :) Kulang ang isang araw, linggo or event months para malibot mo yung mga tourist spots nila.

    Napangiti ako when I read the line about Kiddy Land. Naruto, Naruto, Naruto!!! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dedicated sa iyo ang post na ito Fiel dahil all throughout si Maruto ang nasa isip ko. With that goal in mind, I was able to visit more places and see more Japanese innovations and creations re toys. I wanted to buy them all!

    Sobrang ganda talaga at ako ay babalik. Remember, walang bayad ang visa, ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ganyan talaga pag nakakariwasa ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buddy, this is really cool !
    Beautiful pictures ! Awesome post, dude !
    You are a lucky man :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Travel blogger na peg mo ngayon hihi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andami kong naisip na pwedeng pose kapag nagpa-picture kasama yung statue ni Godzilla. *hehe*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ang sarap basahin, parang nakapunta na din ako sa Japan! Pero, in due time, makakapunta din ako jan :D :D

    ReplyDelete