Sunday, April 3

Getting to Know You 10

These conversations were between me and my students aged four and five except for the last one who is only three years of age. This is the tenth of a series. 


Teaching the children how to hold the dragon up for the dragon dance. 

Me:  You need to put your hands up because you will need to put something on your head. 
Student: I know, a brain! 
Me: I said, on, not in.
Student: Then it's hair!
Me: No!


depositphotos.com


Asking the children the illustrations they made.

Me: How come the sun have eyes and a mouth but the clouds do not?
Student: The clouds are blind.
Me: How did they become blind?
Student: God gave them pencils and they poked each other's eyes.


pinterest.com



Seeing two girls clasping their hands in prayer.

Me: What are you doing girls?
Girls: We are praying.
Me: What are you praying for?
Girls: The tree is dying, we are praying for it to be healthy again.


freecoloringpages.co.uk


Asking a child to sit down while working.

Me: Please sit down.  You do not look like you are working.
Student: Do I look like I am taking a bath?
Me (thinking): "Sarcasm at its finest!"


vecto.rs


Drawing pictures of animals.

Me: Could you please tell me something about your picture?
Student: I am drawing a bull. 
Me: Oh, that's a male cow. Do you know what we call a female cow? 
Student: Yes, a cowgirl. 



mycutegraphics.com


Asking a child the whereabouts of someone.

Me: Was Uncle in your house before you came here?
Student: No, she is in Auntie's house.
Me: How did you know?
Student: I saw it, I am not blind! 


123rf.com


Making funny faces to de-stress in class.

Student: Oh my God, that's disgusting! 





Asking individual students to read with me.

Me: B, it's time for reading.
Student: (whistling loudly)
Me: Could you please stop whistling.
Student: chu-chee-beep-bop. (started beat boxing)
Me: Save me Lord!
cadeh.com


Playing with Playmobile figures.

Me:  So what do we play today?
Student: We can put this person inside the cup and cover him up.
Me: Why are you doing that?
Student:  I am going to cremate him.
Me: Wow! ( as the boy is only 3 years old)


20 comments:

  1. Th kids are so innocent and cute! They will outgrow and speak wiser as they mature. I had similar shocks with vulgarities from my younger cousins before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crazy fun! LOL

    This is cute. But after that I think I cannot stand more. Hahaha. I commend you for your job. I don't know how to be always nice with them. When my nieces and nephews were that young, I often tease them and make them cry. At the same time, I pamper them and spoil them. Pero my being nice to them shifts to "monster mode" (as they call me then) when I can no longer handle their kakulitan. Lagi silang umiiyak. Hahaha.

    Pero now that they are old enough, I want to believe I am their fave tito. Hehe. And they are just as good as me in pang-aasar. They learned very well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nakakainis!! Hahaha

    It's taking me a little while pa to connect with kids due to language issues.. and I have limited time with them lang as their English teacher talaga since they have a separate main teacher pa. Pero masaya pa din.

    I hope to share the same experience as well kapag ako na yung naging main teacher in the future.. Sa Japan! Woohooo! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TM,

    I don't see them as innocent as yhey should, well, for some of them. I am utterly out of words or in dismay when I hear remarks made by children as sometimes, it goes beyong being honest to being disrespectful. The world is changing and we allow youngsters to voice out their opinions as long as they are within the parameters of truth and common sense. I have this tendency to compare from the youngsters of yesteryears to the ones at present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pepe,

    There is a difference when someone wants to be funny to being rude. There could be instances that a child remarked something thinking it would get him some attention and sometimes, they just do not know it. Example is when they simulate farting or burping while eating. While most find it funny, some of us find it annoyingly rude. I have to be in the middle, balancing my sanity and patience within limits. You should have seen me walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cher Kat,

    Then you can write something about translations. For example I have a student named Chris and while we can all say it, the nanny in my class cannot so she would blurt out Kiss, Kiss, and I thought someone is looking for some, ha,ha,ha.


    ReplyDelete
  7. Parang ang hard naman ng mga kids na yan hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sinabi mo pa Cher Jep, at mga isandaan pang comments na ganyan, time to change profession, psychologist na lang ako, maloko man ako, nakapangalan na sa akin, psycho! Ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol.

    Kids say the darnest things. And nowadays, they think differently already. So funny and sometimes scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Ms. Lili,

    And do you know the question I was asked this morning?

    Excuse me, can two boys marry each other?

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a child, I wanted to be a teacher. I became one for 2 whole semesters, and taught college kids. I am so glad I didn't teach young kids. I don't think I am equipped with handling those kinds of questions. Hehehe. There were times that my kids' questions made me stop and think deeper, and really find correct and appropriate answers to their questions. I have two kids, and just imagine if I was a teacher and handling questions of a whole class?

    As a parent, I am really thankful for teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Miss Lili,

    It is very interesting to know that you were once a professor in a university which is something I would like to do. I believe they wouldn't ask me where babies come from or if two men can marry. I might be asked different sets of questions that I won't be immediately able to answer. With children, I throw the questions back if I am not sure how to answer them and it works wonder.

    I have a boy student who keeps on kissing me today and I asked him why. He told me he loves teachers so I asked him to kiss my assistant instead and he blurted out, "Yucks!" Funny child!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Innocence-- that one element that makes it all stand out and funny and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's right Cher Kat and the challenge on how to answer the questions or react to their comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. nung nabasa ko ang title nito bigla ako napakanta ng...

    Getting to know you... Getting to know all about you ♫♪♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's the tenth in a series so pang 10th na pagkanta mo na yan Rix, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,Jonathan
    Hearing about stories of innocent children is always lovely. As I told you, I was a piano teacher.
    My first students were two little sisters 3 and 5. I was single very young lady. I liked teach piano them ,but they were quite naughty. One day,their intelligent mother told me." Teacher, children are like monkeys" . It was a surprisingly great advice for me in a sense. The one of two like monkeys has become a doctor, the other became an international economic teacher, now housewife.
    I still have a couple of senior students after retiring. I have lost my power to spend time with naughty children. Enjoy with your lovely students!! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tomoko,

    I am equally delighted to hear stories from fellow teachers and the ways on how they reacted and dealt with behaviour. The ways of the yesteryears are far different from now. I find it more challenging in the recent years to deal with misbehaviour and that there are so many names or labels attached to them.

    One day, I will also have less patience with them and that is the time for me to retire. Of interest maybe to you is that my former assistant is a piano major from Massachussets and it was most fun singing everyday in class. I wish I can have the luxury once again to have one in class. All the best and have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. True pakiramdam ko nasa nursery school ako lolz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Rix,

    So kanta pa para enjoy, he,he,he. Musta ka na?

    ReplyDelete