Sunday, January 22

Precious



Nothing much transpired during this birthday of mine except for the usual SMS messages and Facebook notifications. The day went with no funfare and to my expectation, just another ordinary day, a day older and a reminder to move on.

I received a surprise though from a friend of mine two days ago. Since 2006, we have known each other and he helped me when I was hospitalized more than a year ago. We have been friends doing karaoke together, visiting temples and fairs, and eating out. For the first time, I received a present from him: a Ganesh pendant, an old coin, and a rare stone. For me they were of no value because I am not interested in anything superstitious or old. For him, they were his kept treasures. He spoke with great fervour explaining each of the divine items. I learned through the short conversation that the three items were from his collection, his possession, kept for their value, money and sentiment wise, and then offered to me as birthday presents.

My friend comes from an ordinary family who strives everyday to earn money for food and housing. By giving me something he had treasured dearly, the giving was not just a token for my birthday but a way of showing me that what he had was unselfishly given. There were no flowers, no fancy food, no parties or bowling galore but the three items handed to me means more than birthday gifts. They are tokens of a great friendship. Precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment