Sunday, March 9

Food Trips and Friends

It was very hectic as I was selling things, running to different government places to apply for papers and needed documents during my short stay in Manila. Since one of my closest friends was also visiting, we took time off our schedules to meet.

The Raffles Residence was the venue of our first meeting. The Raffles is described as endlessly enchanting, with understated elegance, refined and contemporary luxury and there was no doubt that I had to agree. The security from the main gate to the front desk was well-guarded and filled with welcome smiles and warm reception. I wanted it to be my home.

My friends and I enjoyed the camaraderie and the stories we all shared regarding families, friends and vacations. With plenty of hors d'ouevre, incredible delicious French Pate, raw meat, and cheeses, I couldn't ask for more. Top them up with tea of all kinds and coffee, a perfect afternoon tea party.







 from - www.smartparenting.com.ph
Second to the list was Cafe Mary Grace at Serendra. The place is very homey and it reminded me of old houses and even of Papelmerotti what with their small notes tucked inside tables. The place is small but cozy and even early that morning it was filled with people thus service wasn't spectacular. The food is exquisite though and with its famous hot chocolate drink, simply divine.


The conversation with my two friends was all about retirement. The dream of having a place for vacation locally was on top of the list. We didn't stay long and later transferred to a tea house afterwards. 

The day before I left, we really have to spend one more time even if it means we need to squeeze or skip some appointments. This time it was at Oasis Hotel opposite Paco Park in a restaurant called My Kitchen by Chef Chris. 




Since I am no food blogger and my memory of names regarding food is limited, all I can say is that the food were good and that the last meet with my high school buddies was the cherry on top. 

I wish I could be with my friends all the time but with our choices and different lives, it is not possible. However, we make sure we get to see each other when opportunities arise. Eating out was just an excuse. The meetings made capped our years of friendship. It was worth the stories, stored for others to hear and share. It was friendship without borders. 

(A late post since these happened in January, 2014.)

16 comments:

  1. Wow, excellent post, Jonathan :)
    Beautifully written.
    Nice hotels, cafes and eateries.
    Good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been ages since I met up with old friends. Since I came here, it's always with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person who you are with makes the food taste better and the place more cozy and comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ang alam ko lang orderin sa Mary Grace ay Mango Bene at Mint Iced Tea :) and yes, that Mary Grace in Serendra is my fave place jan, the rest, di ko na afford. Lols.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginutom ako Cher Jo. *hehe*

    The best ang food if the best din ang company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were in Manila again Sir Jonathan?
    Anyway, nice meeting long time friends.
    I should be doing that too , but family in the Philippines has always been the priority and time is limited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. food trippin with friends is overly fun! glad to hear you had it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isa lang ang masasabi ko, mga alta ang friends nyo sir Jonathan. pang mayaman ang place at foods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bakit retirement na ang pinag-uusapan? Mukhang malapit na ang retirement? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Rajiv,

    Aside from all of the above mentioned, great friends too! I so look forward meeting them and having a blast with all of them through stories and laughter.

    @ Lili,

    These meets are rare as well because we are never complete. The holiday season is probably the most celebrated because we all look forward having this break to be in Manila.

    @ Ms. Balut,

    Very well said and even If I am eating at the side of the road or eating nothing, it is the company that counts. I used to have a friend where we go on picnics or sit down by the roadside just talking but that was many years ago. They were phenomenal moments!

    @ yccos,

    I was surprised at Mary Grace's since it was my first time. The food is good and the location is great. I might go there again when I get to visit Manila. Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ geosef,

    I eat street food all the time so having the luxury of those places were gifts to cherish. Anyway, the food in Thailand is very good so I don't need to be in an expensive place to taste good food.

    @ Ms. Joy,

    Time is always limited when we go visit but my family is always busy with other things so I go see my friends. That's why I was also able to see some bloggers. I make it a point to set one day for special people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @erica,

    It was a blast, always a fitting start and end of a vacation.

    @fiel,

    Oo nga, sila lang, hindi ako. Kunwari alta rin ako, blending ba, parang chameleon.

    @ ish,

    Yes, ganyan sila mag isip, super advance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. indeed, mas masarap ang lamon kapag kasama ang prens,. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ olivr,

    Natawa naman ako sa word na lamon, as in, lakas ng kain, ha,ha,ha. Tumpak ka diyan, with prens, it's better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaw picnic! I haven't tried that for the longest time :(

    ReplyDelete