Sunday, September 18

The Meaning of Lost

Getting off the cab one morning, I was waiting at the garage of my student's house when I heard a familiar voice.  "Kat, please take care of your teacher and listen to him," her dad said.

Kat's dad was ill at that time, having been to the hospital for an operation and then recuperating at home.  That morning, they were to go to the hospital leaving me and Kat's brother in their house.


That same day, I received a phone call saying that her dad passed away in the hospital.  I came from the market that time but I cannot help but to cry.  I was astounded, for her dad was just 40 years old.


Last Thursday, something was disturbing me.  I wasn't sure about the news so I sent my student's mum a message.  Yes, there was indeed bad news and that her husband passed away.  I cried since I have known the family for their generosity and faith in me. They even planned to see me for lunch that day, to keep them updated of my teaching and personal life.  And for four years, I would see the dad coming in to school with a smile.  He was 44. 


Both men died due to heart failure and the saddest thing is the families they left behind. Both families have young children, as I am a preschool educator, you could imagine what their ages were and are. 


I am being selfish, for some of my posts were about death and dying, not of other people but of mine.  That even to this day, I am just willing to surrender in due time.  When some lives were taken abruptly, here I am thinking of taking mine.  Forgive me, it is a recurring thought, a sign of weakness and surrender but a very bad thought.


I will pray for the families of my two students while I will also promise not to be selfish and hateful of uneventful things. Life goes on for those who stayed.  Four happy thoughts for everyday: the students that I teach, the remaining family members I have, the people that I love and, the one who loves me most.




No comments:

Post a Comment