Wednesday, February 3

Having Much of Nothing

As I grow older, the chances of doing new things and accepting challenges are taken with precautions. My busy schedule wouldn't fit any more of these incoming offers. I had been busy with work knowing no one waits for me at home. I work late because I know that I will be returning to an empty house later on. Yet I long for a good rest so when I reach the house, I clean up and then ready myself to sleep.

One night, for no apparent reason, I couldn't sleep. There were many thoughts racing through my mind. I was thinking of things to do for the next day till the thought of being alone haunted me. It might be an awakening but still I am in slumber. The thought of living a life of isolation would always be in me but the consistency of finding people to relate with and connect with overpower the feeling of solitude and loneliness.

The house where I live is of a modest size but comparing with the other houses, mine alone is right for a small family. I enjoy the peace walking in the garden. I delight in the collection of books I had collected through the years. I find contentment with the simplicity of my life.

Opening up the gates is like welcoming the luscious green that surrounds my house. Unlocking the doors mean coming back home for a much needed rest. It is like having much but enjoying less. A life that is full but still lacking. It's but a clear example of life's contradiction.

The emptiness is but temporary because the fullness of God is always felt within.

6 comments:

  1. I love how you described the "soul" of your house. Like i can get my very first good night sleep. Peaceful.

    "The emptiness is but temporary because the fullness of God is always felt within."

    - Thus we conclude, you have much of so many things. Plus you have me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one fortunate soul and that bouts of emptiness are just trickles in my existence. The mere fact that I am reminded of family and friends make me realize how joyous life is. Your presence, blog-wise, keeps me going. Thanks Jeff, you are one great person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. teacher Jonathan,

    Are you ok? Your notes are always beautiful and inspiring but the latest one is a bit lonely - hope you are doing ok :)

    I understand the empty feeling when you come home with no one waiting for you - I am experiencing one myself at the moment too. Anyway, there are so much in life that we can enjoy - go out and have fun :)

    Take care,
    Aeh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, amen to that! Thanks for sharing Jiji.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Khun Aeh,

    Kapkwoon krub!I believe we are out in this world for a mission. We sacrifice family and friends to find ourselves. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete