Wednesday, April 16

Angry Birds

Since it was spring break, I took an eight hours trip to the North to visit some acquaintances. It was a tiring trip but seeing all the yellow flame trees lined up along the highway was soothing enough to kill time. 

The house that I visited was tucked in a small road that led to a very small village. There was a commotion going on where we parked.  I happened to witness a real cockfighting derby and it was my first time to see one. I asked permission if I could take photographs and so I did. I do not condone the fight because I am not into bloody sports. But I was having a hearty laugh seeing the reactions of the men surrounding the makeshift arena.

(Pardon the language)

"Nagkita rin tayo sa wakas, tang*^#mo! Ibalik mo syota ko!"

"Taran#%*@ ka ba, akin siya, AKIN!"

The men were constantly shouting, "Ugh! Ugh!" whenever one of the cock was being attacked by the other. I cannot make sense of what they were shouting and how they were doing the game. All I knew that the cocks were probably being encouraged by the spectators to be more aggressive. 

" Ganun, sige magtutuos tayo ngayon!"

"Etong sa yo!" 

The cockfight is an intense sport,  recreation, or pastime. But to the men in that village, it was a fun way to gather together and show off their prized cocks (no malice intended). There must be great pride in the prowess of their birds and in winning (illegally).

"Hindi pa ipinanganak ang magpapatumba sa akin!"

"Ang daldal mo!"

"Dugo! Magtago ka na sa pinanggalingan mo!"

I took very few photos because when I saw blood oozing out, I bowed down and left the arena. It was a real experience to see cockfighting as a blood sport but something I won't encourage people to practice, unless it has religious implications. 

Who won? I don't know, told you I left. Make your bet!

25 comments:

  1. hmmm 8 hours parang almost the same to Manila - Baguio travel.. I miss Baguio lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jon.

    I have relatives who love the "sport". I have not seen a real fight yet or have been to a cock derby arena. Di ko yata kaya. Kawawa ang manok. Slow death.

    By the way, this post reminds me of my conversation with my son. (It's here --> http://lildivine.blogspot.com/2012/10/cockfighting.html ) I'll show him your photos in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rix,

    It tool me eight hours plus stops, which were about six in total for petrol, food and restroom breaks. The weather was harsh since it was so hot but better than being at home writing blog posts, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ms. Lili,

    You can show the pics but not the captions, lol. Will look into your conversation after lunch. It was good for the first time but not as a sports for me. I remember leaving the moviehouse for the first fifteen minutes because the movie was so violent. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natuwa naman ako sa captions mo kaibigan :=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi J,

    Ayan, the violent in me, lumalabas, lol! Have a blessed week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really dont like this kind of sport,, but you make it too funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi buddy, I am with you :) Peace loving :)
    I don't support cruelty, hardships and torture of animals in whatever category humans have labelled it to justify.
    Very thought provoking post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Misleading ang angry birds na title... dapat angry cocks! hehehe... kakatuwa ang usapan nila...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm... cockfighting huh? Galit na rin ang cock ko. Who wants to fight?! Hahahaha!

    Galing ng subtitles. I enjoyed the pictures a lot! Hahahaha!

    Naipakita ko na rin noon sa blog ko yung cock ko. hahahaha! Ano ba yan! Holy week na holy week kung anu-ano ang pinagsasabi ko! hahaha!

    Hindi na ako estranghero sa sabungan. My grandfather, father, uncles, and many other male members of the family are/were fanatics of this game. Ako lang hindi. Natutuwa lang ako makita ang dalawang tandang na magsabungan. Now it's even more entertaining kung may ganitong story line. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. parang dito lang sa Pinas ah. may sabong din hehe. ang mga talunang tandang jan ay sa hapag kainan ang kahahantungan XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. ayan eh ahaha. daming stop over? hazit maeexperience ko ulit nag mag byahe ng malayo next week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ms. Joy,

    Same sentiment here but I wanted to write something different about it, hence, the humour. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rajiv,

    It is illegal though for religious purposes they are accepted in some parts of your country. Same as here, the fight itself is not legal but the religious connotation of the spirit in the rooster is practiced.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Misleading ba Senyor? Habang ginagawa ko nga yung post eh iba ang pumapasok sa isip ko eh kung Filipino lang yan, walang ibang kahulugan. Sabong, yun na yun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ mr. Tripster,

    Na curious tuloy ako at mag back read ako to see your cock, lol! Wala akong kilala sa pamilya namin na nahilig sa sabong, madyong puwede pa, ha,ha,ha.

    Buti naman at peace loving citizen ka pero base sa mga comment at postings mo, hindi, lol! Peace my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ fiel,

    Nung nag aaway nga yung mga tandang, worried face si manong kasi nga talo na yata yung manok niya. He asked for the game to finish pero hindi pa raw time. Umalis na lang ako, ayaw kong makitang may mamatay or iulam for tinola.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Rix,

    Lakwatsero talaga at saan naman ang punta mo next week?

    ReplyDelete
  19. sa lugar na mataas hindi na gaano malamig pero malamig naman sa mata ang makikita mo lolz

    ReplyDelete
  20. kawawa naman yung mga angry birds...tapos ang ending nang talo...hapag-kainan

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Dad love this "Sport" so when he passed away last year, di ko alam tawag dun sa nilalagay sa paa ng manok...he has enormous collection ba..pwde bang tawagn collection...hahaahha....most of his close friends wants to buy it but mom decided to keep it:) memorble ..hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  22. My father and brothers love cock fighting and all 4 girls in the family hate it :(

    Hayan na naman ang humor ni Jonathan... at about cock pa! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ jobologist,

    Oo nga, pero in this case, inaawat kapag alam nang matatalo. Pet nila yan so they also want to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Sunnytoast,

    Interesting! Oo, I might call it a collection as well since you don't have just two or three. The memories of your dad are attached to his previous passion so selling them is a no, no.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Ms. Balut,

    Cock a dooddle doo
    Those cocks are fighting true
    When one died
    The master cry,
    cock a doodle doo!

    I think bloody sports are adored by the male species.

    ReplyDelete