Wednesday, August 10

Leaving With Many



I was always told that I am stern and uninteresting that's why I was never invited to parties since I don't drink as well. I was speaking with a friend and he asked me if I have difficulties connecting with people. I honestly said yes but he didn't believe me. I shared my experiences in the Netherlands to a cousin of mine and he told me that I am so friendly with everyone, including strangers. Like a magnet, I meet opposites.

I visited Puerto Princesa in Palawan, a pristine island in the Philippines and I expected nothing. It was a sort of escape from the noises of the city and the burdening problems at home. It was like an escape from reality.

There were many factors that ruined my stay: late departure, miscommunication with the hotel pick-up, sorry state of my hotel room, and the bad weather. But this entry is not about my complaints, it is about the experience and the memories of the trip.

I met Mark, the trike driver who gave me a brief background of the city. Since I was alone, I dragged him for dinner and told him to stay put and he did. That was one superb dinner at Saris Barrio. I met Marissa and her school mate Virgie along with her two children Alexandre and Marie Claire. What an excellent group! I am grateful for the generosity and kindness showered by the the two children for helping me out during the snorkeling trip, as well as during the fish feeding fancy. I met Ernie, a father and former instructor who stayed put in Palawan after being in Manila since birth, and whose story is quite inspirational. I met Norris and Vincent, who became our tour guides and learned a bit of something from each. Along with the numerous trike drivers, boatmen and hotel staff, I went back home with a smile.

Being alone had some disadvantages but the richness of the trip made me see that I am not what people perceive me as stern and uninteresting. I was told the opposite. I made friends and became a different me.

No comments:

Post a Comment