Wednesday, April 22

A Short Trip to Myanmar

As I was on a road trip recently, I decided to pass by Dan Singkhon in the border of Thailand and Myanmar. As it was the New Year's celebration for both countries, the border was opened for visitors for four days.


Dan Singkhon Pass located in  Prachaup Kiri Khan.


Hopping into a pick-up truck after paying a minimal fee, off I went with a group of Thais. Since the passenger portion was filled up, I was asked to sit in front with the driver thus I was able to take some photographs. 


The main entrance to Myanmar where a check-point
was set-up for immigration purposes.

The bucolic scenery reminded me of the countryside. The brownish mountains, as it was hot and dry, welcomed us as we traversed the rugged terrains. The dust through the asphalt road were upon us like powder on our faces. This was the first destination, to see the countryside.


The view along the Tennaserim Mountain was just as refreshing
as the rains of May.

An abundance of palm plantations gave life to the zig-zagging roads.

There was a limitation as to how far a distance vehicles
can run through each other's soils. 

As we approached another blockade, it wasn't because of another check-point but it was because a group of people were dancing and dousing each other with water as they celebrate the New Year. I was asked to roll up the window as wetting the inside of the truck wasn't a good idea. The people greeted us with smiles but there was not a single drop of water splashed on us, I mean, to the Thais inside the truck.

Oh, uh, water fight!

Our second destination was this temple, not as ornate as the other temples I had seen so far, but it was different in a sense that it was just a rounded shaped structure with seven almost identical deities representing the days of the week.

Stunning from outside!

I offered some flowers, a candle and joss sticks to the deity of Sunday,
the day of my birth.

A bell to signal communion, prayer time and other daily activities.

A monk summoned us to gather inside and he blessed us with holy water.
After some solemn prayers and offerings, we were to go to our third and final destination which was a shopping spree for duty free spirits and cigars. But before we reached the local stores, we passed the same blockade of people and this time, not a single soul was dry. 

You could see in their eyes and faces the joy of celebrating their
New Year in the middle of summer. 
Hoses were everywhere and the Myanmar men were rocking the truck up and down, up and down to the beat of the song they were dancing to. It was chaos and it must be so much fun getting soaked in the heat and I am saying, it must be because I was the only dry soul aside from the driver since I was in front of the truck. 

We finally reached the store where two dozens of beer cans were sold for 240 baht only and a bottle of liquor was for a hundred. I was just looking at the commodities wishing they sell chocolates but to no avail. :(

With that disappointment was a great exposure as to how the New Year was celebrated at the neighbouring country. Maybe next year, I might go to the capital city. For now, I wish Thailand and Myanmar a happy new year!

10 comments:

  1. Hello sir Jo ^^
    Parang fiesta lang sa San Juan, ang daming basaan portion ahaha XD

    Sa araw may water festival. Sa gabi naman, meron din fireworks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolness! Buti dun ka tumabi sa driver kundi may sipon kna siguro ngayon. Hehe. If I wAnna visit Thailand, Id have to do a lot of back reading sa iyong mga posts to see which festival suits me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Fiel,

    Basaan, inuman, lasingan, kainan, at aksidente galore. Party time nga eh kaya every Songkran fest, tumataas ang accident rate. Yes, may fireworks din pero smaller scale, in celebration with the King. Mas malaking fireworks kapag birthday niya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cher Kat,

    In a way hindi ko na experience yung Burnese basaan kasi nga nasa loob ako ng truck. Next time, magsusuot ako ng swimsuit at hayaan ko silang basain ako, ha,ha,ha. At least sa pinuntahan ko, walang babaeng naka bikini at nagsasayaw, hindi na Songkran yun, ago go na, he,he,he.

    Go na sa Thailand pero sa Coron muna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The places looks beautiful Sir! those shots of the temple looks really good. The people looks so happy too! their smiles are really genuine and I must say worth the visitof any tourist. Sana maka pag travel din ako around Asia soon hehehe

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ang ganda ng 4th picture!! And ang saya saya naman ng water fight lakas maka fiesta ng san juan! :)

    Gusto ko din matry mag punta sa temple na mejo natatakot ako haha!! Dunno whyy.. and gusto ko din makakita ng monk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would wish the same, Jon. Ayaw ko ng beer at liquor. Gusto ko rin chocolates, cookies, at iba pa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cristine,

    I also noticed the joy in the people's faces, it was so real. I was captivated by their greetings and smiles when i was there. They seemed to be very polite.

    Traveling widens our experiences and outlook in life. The time will come when each one of us will fly and see the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Aian,

    Natatakot ka sa temple, siguro kung luma na yung mga temples. I had been to many, fairly new constructions because of the grandeur and beauty but I have not been to really old ones where stories will either fascinates you or scares you. There was a movie about an old temple where babies are buried and that was scary.

    Never been to San Juan for the water fest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Ms. Lili,

    Same here, chocolates and cookies make my day so I always have some in my house. When I went to the duty free section at Narita, I was going gaga over chocolates as they were cheap. Royce is to die for!

    ReplyDelete