Friday, March 1

Frog, Most Humble

Not a lot of people like toads and frogs, some even dread them for various reasons. I heard some say that they are slimy, that they are noisy, that they are jumpy, and that they scare the hell out of their wits. I am not a fan of them either but I do not hate them. In fact, they are the most welcome guests I have in my garden. They thrive in numbers, feeding on insects and hiding in many crevices of pots, broken or not and even on leaves.

I made some sketches, not of the frogs from my house, but from a book as I was doing a science related project with my student. Here are some of them:

Red-eyed Treefrog

Green Treefrog

Imitator Poison Frog

Blue Poison- Dart Frog

La Palma Glass Frog

Red-legged Running Frog

Painted Mantella
When I recently paid a visit to a temple, I found these beautiful frogs clustered together and made a short reflection.

They're looking at you, kid!

Frogs and toads, albeit their unusual looks and nature, are simply nature's solution to disease spreading insects. Sometimes in life, what we think has no value are even more important than those that glitter in silver and gold. These lovely creatures, quiet and unassuming, feels the heat of the ground, closest to Mother Earth. Let the little qualities of these living animals be ours: being valuable, being humble, and being close to nature.

15 comments:

  1. ang gaan sa pakiramdam basahin ang post mo. and nice drawings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nakakatuwa at ang post na ito ay isang kwentong palaka, literally... may talento ka pala sa pagguhit... galing!

    this post reminded me of my highschool biology class, when we were about to disect a frog, i told my teacher na i did not want to participate kasi naaawa ako sa frog... she was not able to provide me good explanation as to why do we have to kill an animal... sobrang kawawa kaya sila...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @aboutambot - salamat sa papuri. Mahirap ang buhay kaya kailangan kong tignan ang mga nasa paligid ko ng may pagasa at pang unawa. Kaya kahit palaka, nagawan ng istorya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @senyor - parehas lang tayo. Nang papatayin na ng nanay ko ang mga alaga naming manok, umiiyak ako kasi nga alaga ko sila. Sa Thailand, hindi magandang pumatay ng hayop o tao, karma so kahit na ang ahas itinataboy lang. Yung maid ko, initsa niya yung ahas sa bakuran ko sa kapit bahay, ha,ha,ha. Salamat sa pagdaan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galing mo palang mag drawing sir jonathan. You are an inspiration. Your words are worth reading and pondering:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow ang galing mo pala mag draw!
    dame bloggers na galing ng kamay ahh

    anyways di naman sa ayaw ko oh takot ako
    mejo diri lang haha
    anyways nakakita na ko ung spider forg ata tawag dun ung nadikit sa wall nakapasok dito sa bahay ewan ko panu

    ReplyDelete
  7. @joy - I do find inspiration from bloggers like you and the rest of those I visit. It challanges me to make more interesing entries where people will learn something from my words, if indeed there is wisdom :)

    Your blog speaks of your immense love to the Lord and it is a blessing to read yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MEcoy - I also paint and I invite you to see them, just look for the label art and you will see some in there.

    I have one albino frog in my garden and I see it everywhere. I guess it is my lucky charm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naks! Magaling kang magdrawing sir.

    Nakakainspire kahit palaka nagawan mo ng post.

    Btw thank u sa pagbisita saking kastilyo/blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @archieviner - lahat puwedeng gawan ng istorya o may istorya sa likod ng lahat ng bagay. Salamat din sa pagbisita sa aking munting dampa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ang galing nyo mag drawing sir! :) Like you, I neither hate nor like them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Pao Kun - hindi naman, ikaw nga ang magaling at naka- online auction ka pa ng drawing mo. Sana magkaroon ng art exhiit ang mga Pinoy bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mahusay ka rin pala mag-drawing sir! :)

    naalala ko yung mga frog characters sa anime na Naruto :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jep- thank you, nag dro drowing lang kung kailangan. After the frogs series nga, lizards naman ang pinag- aaralan namin ng estudyante kong mahilig sa hayop. So drowing drowing na ulit. Hindi ko kilala si Naruto, ma google nga!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Galing ng drawing...

    dami natatakot sa frog... pero kahit minsan nakakadiri o nakakatakot sila eh malaki pa rin ang pakinabang nila...

    ReplyDelete