Friday, April 26

Visiting Phrae

Visiting Long, Phrae during the festive Songkran celebration in Thailand gave me a glimpse of how beautiful yet rustic the northern part of the country what with its vast rice fields, mountains, and nature bounties. I visited and marvelled at the great architecture of Wat Salaeng, located some distance to the southwest of Phrae.
These will greet you as you enter the main gate of the temple.

I stayed for three days as I had to attend to an ordination of which I will post photographs as the pictures tell the stories themselves. Meanwhile, let me walk you around the expanse of the surrounding area and see the grandeur of the place.

Three seated Buddhas of different postures and shade of colours.
I am a witness to how Thai people revere their Gods in such respect and honour, removing shoes or slippers before performing a wai ( clasping of the hands for prayers) and then bowing three times.

A smaller house of worship.
The strings that are attached to the main entrance are tied to some smaller strings under tents for the religious. When I see how the people tie the strings around their heads and hands, chanting together, it is the best way to pray in unison. As they always say, "If there are two or three that gathers in My name, I am in your midst."

A huge Buddha statue along the main entrance.
Each and every statue that are built along the vicinity are honoured and paid respect with flowers and incense sticks coupled with the proper wai and bow.

Sort of a watch tower as it is located at the western side of the temple.
The architecture itself is embellished with Thai designs making it prominent not just as a watch tower  but as a support to the entire architectural marvel of the area.

A great place for chants and prayers.
Here is where the Great Abbot stood near for the washing of the hands and where the novices gathered in groups of three to pray as a start of their monk hood.

The Old Ubosot

And the main attraction of the temple is this old ubosot (holiest prayer room), hidden by tall trees and greens. I saw each and every monks enter this small place of worship before doing their usual rounds.

I arrived home in the city feeling refreshed admist the heat. My coloration turned brown around the neck and my arms but they will be reminders of how rich and personal my experience were being a visitor and a spectator of something grand.

12 comments:

  1. napakareach talaga ng culture nila!
    dame din nila goddess parang sarap aralin ng culture nila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting place to visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MEcoy, yes indeed and it takes me as a tourist to appreciate what they have when I am not even familar with ours, so sad.

    Hi Joy, and I was surprised as well when I arrived my destination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sobra talaga akong na-a-amazed jan sa mga buddha at temples nila. pati na rin sa mga monks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nagiging interesado na talaga ako sa thailand. ang dami na kasing mga blog post about this country recently. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow thailand. ang ganda ng scenery ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello fiel, nakarating ka na pala dito. I have seen the one in Bangkok pero this is the first time out of the city, including the ceremony for the novice.

    Hello Phioxee, punta ka na pero sobrang nit dito ngayon. Wait ka na lang medyo Christmas season, August is actually good.

    Hi Thoughtless, thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Those are small and lovely temple...isa talaga sa mga pupuntahan ko pag naka punta akong thailand eh ung temples nila...thanks for sharing...i got curious with the strings...:)


    xx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Da best talaga architecture nila... I wanna go there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi xoxo- punta kayo ni Phioxee, alam ko friends kayo. Treat ko kayo ng dinner :) Sama niyo na din si Senyor

    Hi Senyor - sama ka na din sa kanila, para isang malaking outing ninyo ng PBO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad na umalis ako ng Thailand before the Songkran. My Burmese friend told me na napaka-festive daw ng Thailand kapag Songkran. Sayang at hindi ko nasaksihan iyon.

    Pumunta ako ng north Thailand pero hindi ako nagawi sa Phrae. Lamphang. Chiang Rai at yung boundary with Myanmar lang ang napuntahan ko.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sayang Ish at hindi mo nasaksihan ang Songkran. Did you ever vist the South?

    ReplyDelete