Wednesday, May 29

Slippers


In the story of Cinderella, she was in a hurry to leave the palace as she was told to be out by midnight. Running away from the grand staircase, she left her glass slippers and rushed home. She safely arrived home but lost one of her glass slippers. In the end, the prince found the owner and married Cinderella and they lived happily ever after.

In my short walk at the park, I noticed two pairs of slippers left by someone. They must be from one of the park's workers having a break or purposely left because they were already broken. Whatever the reason, the slippers were reminders that it had served its purpose. 

There was one morning I had to be in the city to attend a conference and so I took the Skytrain. While queuing, the doors opened and out came hordes of ladies and men. That very short moment gave way to hundreds of walking shoes. The sound of their pitter patter were like rhythm of drums and sticks.  It was musicality at a surprising level. The momentum ended once the people dispersed. The range of sounds became deafening silence. The shoes offered some musical transition.

When I attended a school celebration one night and we had to be in the library, it is customary for us to leave our shoes before climbing the stairs. When it was time for me to leave, my shoes were missing. I walked barefoot, donning only black socks, searching for the culprit. I walked in circles till I found the man who started to flee. He was apologetic saying he thought my shoes were his. My pair of black shoes weaved a story.

It is not important how many slippers we have worn through our lifetime or the length of their use. The importance of wearing one supersedes the importance of each and every step we make. What matter is the was we reached someone from walking a distance. What makes it more valuable are the footprints we leave when we touch people's lives. What makes life an adventure is not the shoes or slippers we wear, but the steps we make to reach our destiny. 

12 comments:

  1. i totally agree on that, might as well it was never about how far we went but it's about the story behind it and to where we are now

    ReplyDelete
  2. slippers or shoes, they are my only company in each and every adventures and places ive been to.

    hi jonathan, this is asiong32. i couldnt find your email so i will be answering your question here na lang.
    why would i stop chasing the sun? simple, i already had enough of life and sometimes the only way out that i know is to commit suicide. i have a suicide note waiting to be post on my blog if the perfect time comes but hopefully not. ive been very vocal about it knowing that im a manic depressive and my blog is my only outlet. but now im trying to limit every words now or things that say on my blog regarding about my depression and all the things that im going through because some people doesnt really understands me and i dont wanna be condemned and be judged again. long story...anyhow, im glad that i was able to visit your blog again. marami na akong mga blogs na di nabibisita. wala kasi akong pang-net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thinking MEcoy, and to make sure that we never hurt people around during our walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi asibok,

    Nakakalungkot naman and to think that I have high admiration with your blog and posts, content wise, moreso, the photographs. I wish things are easy for us, but they are not. We all encounter troubles and face storms and being strong is not enough. I resort to faith, belief and people around me. Maybe you need someone to really understand you and not judge you as a person. I hope I can be of help. Hang on and be strong. Please feel free to send me an e-mail at teacherjo@gmail.com, and probably I'll see you in July, maybe in Baguio perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all those lessons, just from a simple pair of slippers.

    galing mo kuya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks blakrabit, hindi ko nga lan ma upcycle yung slippers baka kasi multuhin ako.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know what?!?

    I am this near to conclude that you're one of the great bloggers who write in english na kilala ko... galing!

    Nice post!

    I love the last part about footprints...

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know what ?!? thank you...

    I do like writing and I am very appreciative that you get to visit as well as the others and learn from them.

    I admire quite a number of them as well, and will post one next time, wink, wink...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww very inspiring naman nito sir Jonathan :)

    Hindi mahalaga kung saan ka nagmula, ang mahalaga ay kung saan ka papunta :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi fiel-kun,

    at mahalaga din kung paano tayo nakarating, may natapakan ba tayo, o may naiwanang dapat na ginabayan.

    maraming salamat sa pagbisitang muli. isang karangalan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very inspiring sir joh. importante talaga na kahit san man tau magpunta, we leave positive "footpints" sa mga taong nakikilala natin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tama phioxee kasi naman when the time comes, we will see the footprints we left. When we travel or meet people we should leave something of us to them, a story, an encouragement, an appreciation or a warm smile.

    ReplyDelete