Wednesday, May 22

Tides

The recognitions are deafening as each and every child and parent say their praises and positive comments about how great the teacher is. 

It was many years ago when a lost high school graduate went scouting for a college course to pursue. As there were no guidance from anyone, the young man went from one university to the next taking whatever courses were available for testing. He took science and art courses and in the end, pursued a degree in Philosophy.

There wasn't any job for a Philosophy graduate so this man of 20 ended becoming an assistant teacher in a Chinese school. After a year, his natural ability to connect with young children gave him the opportunity to handle a class, and then more classes for the many years to come.

For all those years of service, his reputation as a great teacher was never doubted. He received accolades from parents and colleagues wherever he went. He was the main topic when a former principal gave a speech about aspiring teachers in an auditorium filled with guests and teachers alike. He was commisioned to start the preschool department of a new school. He was sent abroad to represent his school and the country for a conference. He was being summoned by others to hold seminars, speeches and private tutorials.

But with all these high tides of life comes the low tide. Just recently, when he heard of a blatant misjudgment of his character, he succumbed to despair. He was shocked and speechless. It wasn't a battle he wanted to fight. He was silent for a while, retreating to his abode of gardening and meditation, until he realized that life must go on.

Believing in the mantra commented by a friend, "You are surrounded by m#*!^s.", he picked up the pieces and gathered strength to be able to continue to show his greatness. Right now, though there are smiles exchanged every morning, it is indeed difficult to face another day.

As the school year ends, I wanted to make new pages for a new chapter of my teaching career. It might be a very short book since I decided to make next school year my last year. The high tides of my life give me the opportunity to shine and embrace all that there is in service and loyalty. The low tides of my life show my vulnerabilities and a reminder that I can never please everyone, I can just challenge myself to be better and stronger.

27 comments:

  1. anong next plan mo ser after teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you have reached far sir and i salute you for that,in my case, i hope to get my lofe right on the track soon too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Own it... You'll be better and stronger!

    Nicely written... Ramdam ko ang puso... Nosebleeding pero I like how you highlighted the "I'" sa last paragraph...

    Indeed, para sa mga thinking readers...

    Wherever fate might lead you, we're hear to always listen. I wish you all the best friend! Balik ka muna rito sa Manila then coffe tayo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @overthinker - yan ang dahilan why I visit your blog para may idea ako what to do next. I thought of doing private tutorials na lang, and open up ng isang maliit na shop. Ewan ko, hindi ko pa alam. Gusto ko sana isang school pero wala akong kasalapian.

    @MEcoy - thank you. Tahimik akong tao pero binubulabog ako at ang dahilan ay ang aking inaalam. May hinala akong may gustong kumuha ng posisyon ko, yun lang. Anyway, nasa dasal na lang, and I do it everyday. Shield natin yan eh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @senyor - nakakataba ng puso, maraming salamat!

    Masakit kasi sa kalooban ko. Nang magbalik ako mula sa ling ng aking nanay, walang nakiramay sa ilan sa aking mga kasamahan. Yun pala may ginawa na silang ikinasindak ko. Kinausap ko sila pero mabigat pa rin sa puso ko ang ginawang "mali". Nasa blog na ito ang aking puso at nararamdaman at kayong iilan ang aking kalasag, maraming salamat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stay strong sir. you've reach so far. new visitor here :)


    from Myxilog with love <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened to you is sad indeed but giving up and hiding from the world is not the answer.

    I am glad to know that you stood up and ready to move forward. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @lady-myx - thanks for dropping by. I need to be strong and I do pray for strength everyday.

    @ish - thank you. Akala ko kasi nababait sila, mga tao dito, pero pag matagal ka na, nakikita mo na kung ano talaga ang ugali nila. Sayang, binigyan ko ng posisyon sa klase ko, kinagat ako.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just do what your heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try to fix the problem and move on. If you think you've done something wrong - correct it. If not, explain yourself just once or if not just keep silent. A clear conscience need nothing to explain anyway. If you wish to stay then stay. If not get out and move on. Follow your heart and whatever that will makes u happy :)

    Btw, THANKS for dropping by my blog and for your comment in my MIssionaries of Charity post. Yes the nuns do encourage people to donate more during other days than during the festive season.

    God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Balut,

    I did exactly what you suggested. The initial reaction was shock then anger. I chose to be quiet since there is nothing good that will come out of it. I am just hoping that people see the entire picture first before they make assumptions, and judgements.

    Thanks for the advices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can feel for you...
    pero you can prove them wrong...just go and pick up the pieces, Sir.
    Life goes on and keep up the good in you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ric,

    Life goes on, and God had been helping me. I just need to be cautious of people around me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwww..your students are blessed to have a teacher like you. whatever your plans after this year, for sure in time, you will still teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Olivr,

    I will so that I will have peace of mind as well.

    Hi yccos,

    Thanks for the visit. I know it is a phase so blogging it makes it easier to understand and accept.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isa ka palang guro. God will bless ur career mo sir. I'm sure u will become stronger and stronger because u know how to handle the tides in ur life.

    By the way i like the way you wrote this post. Kala ko your telling the story of someone. Ikaw pala yun. hehe Nice thoughts sir.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks archie, madami na din akong pinagdaanan even as an OFW like you. Mahirap maging guro sa ibang bansa, madaming discrimination, colour and all. Pinoy pa naman, hindi masyadong pabor sa iba. Lungkot lang :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. just continue to do what you feel is right. by doing that you prove them wrong about what they're telling u ;-) goodluck sa teaching career nyo sir jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. kaya mo yan! Show them how great Pinoys are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Phioxee and blakrabit,

    Kinakaya ko nga, dalawang linggo na lang at tapos na ang klase, summer classes after, then vacation. Ngayong bakasyon, kailangan kong maging mas matalino, mas may runong sa pagtuturo at isang dakilang puso para ipakita sa lahat na hindi ako natitibag ng mga naiinggit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought yo were writing someone's story, pero ikaw pala. Admirable. You are one of a kind. I believe whatever path you take, you will succeed because you have faith in your heart. I salute you brother. Just keep on fighting for the truth in love. You are in my prayer.
    Good luck. God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, thanks a lot for your wonderful comment on my blog about the post on Lulu mall in Kerala, India. I feel honoured.

    You are welcome to Kerala, God's own country !

    Monsoon has started and you sure will enjoy the rain.

    The mall is cool !

    BTW, this post is very interesting. If your pupils love you then you are a success. That is the real yardstick of a great teacher's worth.

    You are committed to your profession and I wish you all the very best !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joy,

    Ako nga yun. Even when beset with problems I still wanted my emo post to be different in style, yabang baga, ha,ha,ha. Anyway, thanks for the prayer and I will continue with my faith of believing in myself and to our Lord. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Rajiv,

    An admission once told me that she sees me as a stern looking person but is amazed by how the children loves me dearly. I am different with children. Thank you for the comment and looking forward of visiting your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. talagang ganun. you cannot really please everybody. what's important is that you are loved by the majority at mas kilala mo ang sarili mo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ikaw na lang kaya ang boss ko Dr. Ambot. Sabi nga ng friend ko, mas isipin ang mga magagandang bagay tulad ng respeto at pagmamahal ng mga magulang sa akin kesa sa isang gagong kuwento ng inggit. Wala lungs!

    ReplyDelete