Friday, June 14

Sowing the Seeds of Teaching

It was the last day of school for the pre-kindergarten children I teach. There wasn't any fanfare associated with the year end just like previous years. The surprised gatherings were missing as well as the throng of well wishers saying their last farewells. This was no surprising at all since this year was the most difficult in terms of my teaching path, the most thorny to be exact.

After some hugs and goodbyes to moms and the children, there wasn't any tint of sadness or separation anxiety. There wasn't joy, to be honest. The feeling was numbed and the absence of emotions was very evident.

After all the adieu, I rushed to the flower shop to get myself a bouquet of flowers since I was invited to attend a graduation ceremony of a former student. This student of mine attended my class when he was only three years of age. I was excited to go since it was the first time I will be attending a student's high school graduation.

During the ceremony, it was there that I spilled out all the emotions bagging in my heart. As trickles of tears started falling on my cheeks, the student I once taught went on stage to receive his diploma. Later on, I discovered that another student was there as he finished high school as well. It was overwhelming for me though there were only two among a hundred and fifty graduates. At that moment, I was so proud of myself as I was once a part in the lives of these two children. It was the fitting crown to end the school year.

Here is what my former student wrote in his invitation card for me:


          Dear Mr. Jonathan. I will be graduating this Friday and it would 
be my honor if you could attend. You were my first teacher, 
the first one to guide me, to support me. 
Thank you for all the love you have given me 
and I hope you can make it.

 Love, Alex dV

When I planted seeds many years ago, the fruits of my labour are what I am sowing right now. I am thankful for God and the people who believe and continue to do so. 



22 comments:

  1. Awww... that was so thoughtful of your student sir Jonathan. I'm sure kung ako ang guro niya at binigyan ako ng ganyang letter of appreciation, I would burst into tears as well. Mahusay talaga kayong guro sa inyong mga estudyante and that's a fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi fiel,

    Thanks fiel. Naisip ko nga din kung nasaan na yung mga estudyante ko sa Pinas when I was teaching there. Graduate na din sila ng kolehiyo. It shows na matanda na talaga ako :( but the thing is, marami akong pinagdaanan na aking ikinasasaya dahil may silbi ang aking pagkatao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ka touch naman yung letter. sarap tuloy maging teacher noh. at i know for sure di matutumbasan yung feeling na appreciated pala nong student yung mga hirap mo before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ano muna 'yung adieu? goodbye ba yan? lol

    tagal ka na palang teacher... galing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phioxee,

    Oo nga at hindi ko pinangarap maging guro pero nanatili ako hanggang ngayon sa pagiging isang butihing ilaw sa mga bata. Yung feeling, panalo, hindi siya kayang i describe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nagpapatawa si Senyor. Aba at lilipat ka na ng Ayala, paano na lang ang name mo, maiiba ba?

    Matagal na nga, at isang taon na lang ang taning ko, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww napakafullfiling at heartwarming yan for sure para sa teacher na makatanggap at maalala ka ng ganyan!
    proof yan sa magandang nagawa mo for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo nga MEcoy, ako din naaalala ko pa rin yng mga teachers ko nung Grade school and high.

    Mahal ko yung propesyon ko at mahal ko lahat ng naging estudyante ko. Sana, hindi man ako mayaman, eh maging mayaman ako sa mata ng Diyos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, great post !

    Packed with emotions, you penned a wonderful and important event beautifully !

    Thank you so much for your nice comment on my blog.

    I have reviewed the book '101 Simple secrets to keep your hope alive' in goodreads website. I am happy that you also liked this book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rajiv,

    I can write something well when I it is an outpouring of my feelings and emotions, whether I am happy or sad. The milestone was written as a reminder of my life, and my contribution to people around me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy for you!
    Keep planting the seeds of good deeds. Life is an echo...Babalik din lahat ng kabutihang naitanim natin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nakakataba talaga ng puso ang isang bagay na alam mo na may isang tao na sobrang pinahalagahan ang bagay na ginawa mo sa kanila... Nakakatuwang bata..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Ric,

    Life is an echo, ganda naman. Pag tanda ko, mga mabuting alaala na lang ang mga ito. I even asked a student na siya na ang magbigay sa akin ng memorial since kilala na niya ako. I have her as a student for many years, from tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oo nga Rix, sa buhay kasi natin kailangan we make positive changes to people. Madami na kasing negativities sa buhay so kailangan ng mga taong magtuturo ng tamang direksiyon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very touching. You did a wonderful job:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you. I wish I could see the others who were former students of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what you sow is what you reap :)

    hayan nag-aani ka na ng mga magandang itinanim mo... kakatuwa, kakataba ng puso... imagine hindi ka nya nalimutan after so many years...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Balut. Yun nga, kahit hindi malaki ang suweldo ng mga guro, etong mga sulat o imbitasyon ang aking lakas sa araw araw.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, such a sweet thing for your student to have remembered you on his graduation day. May mga teacher talaga na naging malakit ang impact sa buhay ng estudyante nila. I, for one, still keeps in contact with my teacher in Grade One, more than 30 years ago :-) Simula Grade 2 ako, we would exchange letters through mails because my family have left her town. Tuloy-tuloy yung hanggang mag-college ako. And then nung mauso ang mobile phones, textmates at phone pals naman kami. I have just visited her last month for her 70th birthday.
    Hmn, you have just given me an idea for another blog post haha!

    Keep being an inspiration to your students! God bless and more powere to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. actually we cannot define the feeling we felt at the time seeing them fly higher and that during the culminating years of theirs, you were an instrument to give them a solid ground. I salute your hard word, patience, and most of all, the love you pour for every thing that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Nortehanon. Thanks for the wonderful story. Sana nga may maka alala pa. I will continue to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mukhang naligaw ka Meihua. Long time no see you here. Thank you for these wonderful words. May God bless us all.

    ReplyDelete