Friday, September 19

Friendships (September 19, 2008)



I know a lot of people from all walks of life. I also have a big group of international people that I know as I have been around an international community for many years. I have met many interesting people and some who have shown me what life is.

Cynthia Rylant’s The Old Woman Who Named Things opened my eyes to my current attitude towards friendship. It was in the very end of the book where I saw a realization that I had been ignoring throughout.

She thought of all the old, dear friends with names whom she had outlived. She saw their smiling faces and remembered their lovely names, and she thought how lucky she had been to have known these friends. She thought what a lucky woman she was.

The realization is that I had been ignoring friends and had been running away from them. Not that I don’t like to socialize, but because I prefer being home alone and tending the garden. If any invitations come up, I do attend but I don’t stay for a longer time.

So if you ask me to name ten close friends I have, I probably would have to think, hmm… ten is such a big number. However, I am a lucky person as I will be able to name a few; a few that I know will be around for a long, long time. It’s time to celebrate, to celebrate my friendship with them not just through blogging but by being visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment