Tuesday, September 16

Alive (September 16, 2008)


This year, I have the opportunity to work with one of my favorite friends. We used to work together many years ago, parted ways and then back again this school year.

When I was very new to the school I used to work with, I knew no one and felt very much alone. One day after class, I passed by the kitchen of our homey school. Seated by the doorway was a beautiful woman with her child. She asked me in my vernacular and I was surprised to hear a Caucasian speaking an Asian language. She happened to have lived and finished her high school where I was originally from. We became instant buddies and exchanged greetings every time we saw each other.

Her first born who was just a toddler during our first meet but became my student when he turned three. Bubbly and positively active, he became one of my favorites in class. His mum started working in the school so we ended up being close friends.

Fast forward some years, I heard that our former school co-principal was to leave so I was vying for my friend to come back as the co-administrator. When it didn’t materialize, I was down hearted and this disappointment became an issue in my school. I was told to be not a team player and not supportive of my former co-principal’s decisions. A rife ensued between me and the newly hired co-principal. The reason wasn’t that, the sadness was because my friend didn’t make it to be the co-principal.

That being said, I struggled in school to show that I meant good for everyone. I struggled to be a part of a group with the intention to succeed and prosper. I struggled hard, and sacrificed many things including my pride.

During the last school term, I was very ecstatic when I heard that in the coming school year, my friend will be working as a teacher. I was very excited.

She is now with us again. I do see her every morning with her cheerful disposition and contagious smile. I know I am always surrounded by good people but when I am surrounded by good friends, I feel much alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment