Saturday, May 16

Gifts : Hope, Joy and Faith (May 16, 2009)

To give myself a gift would mean to cheer myself up, just like how shopping or drinking sprees give instant gratification to others. I remember being alone on my birthday and how I indulged myself in purchasing four pairs of shoes to make myself happy. I also go to the nearest branded shop to buy myself cookies and chocolates, to blame for my growing tummy. I literally jumped to the nearest bookstore to find something to collect even if I don't need any anymore. It's just becoming redundant and boring.

A colleague visited recently from the US. She was gracious enough to bring for us trinkets and I got this small angel from her. Believe me that nobody knows how much lonely I am right now, but the word in that small packet with the brass angel reminded me to be cheerful. That something will always come after the rain.


And while checking the situation in my garden of the dying plants, I stumbled upon a plant that sprouted its tiniest flowers that gave me joy. I have been blessed again by being offered another rare feast for my eyes and soul. It had always been surprises after surprises, plants bearing exceptional flowers rarely seen.



And upon hearing that my mother suffered a mild stroke just last week, I felt weak as I hear her struggle to speak with me with her unclear and sometimes garbled speech. I am stress out. However, her words of comfort to me are clearly a motherly act. Instead of telling her to take care of her health, she is even concerned about mine. She is suffering right now but she made a point to show me that we all have our battles to fight and if we are together in these battles, we will see good results. We need to believe.


These gifts are rarely seen because we tend to busy ourselves with the ways of the world. They are within reach. You cannot buy them because they are for free. They are wondrous gifts extended by our families, by our closest and true friends and by our Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mr Athan!

    I think we need to be just happy with what we have. Easily said than done though.

    Sometimes I think we should act like hermits... simple, they live with the basics but they are happy.

    Or maybe like a monk... then we can join the choir and sell CDs.

    I dont know... Ur a smart guy, Im sure you know that whatever it is you're feeling right now will just pass. Hold on to that Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's why I write about hope and believing. Living like a hermit isn't a bad idea but I don't think I can be a monk. Not that I can't sing but because I don't have their discipline. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jon! :)

    People are seeking happiness in the wrong places and with the wrong things. They miss out on what really matters because they are so busy corrupting themselves...

    the most important are indeed found in the simplest things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like a simple hi or a visit from friends like you. A lot suffers because they try to amass wealth or material things but indeed, they are not the source of true happiness. God bless, Lucas!

    ReplyDelete