Tuesday, May 19

Hold My Hand (May 19, 2009)

"Hold my hand and I'll walk with you."

The teacher's role in school is not just to educate young learners' minds about the world but also to support their growth physically, emotionally and socially. It is also the task of educators to make sure that each and every child is taken care of no matter what. Leave down days at home, start the class with exuberance, sustain the energy throughout, lead and be led and finish the day with a reassuring smile. And as I send my students home, those waves and smiles mean that they will be going back to their comfort zone. And that they will share to their parents new learning acquired during the day.

Some children seek assurance from their teachers, be it a seat work or just to sit down for story telling or sharing. Children naturally crave for attention and some will hold your hand and guide you to their choice of activity. Some will seek your friendship and some will ask for your warm embrace.

I give them all - the hugs, the words of wisdom, the assurances, the honesty, and the love. My students are just five years of age but they bring to school a massive wealth of curiosity, trust, and love. When I go back after work, I am physically exhausted but happy because I am a part of my students' growth. But what these children do not know is that I am just like them looking for assurance, guidance and friendship.

I also wanted to be heard and be accepted. I wanted to gain trusting friends and be surrounded by loving people. I wanted to follow a road where I will be safe, away from harm. I also wanted to hear someone say to me, "Jonathan, everything will be fine, hold my hand and I'll walk with you."

13 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Athan!

    They're only 5??? OMG!

    Im inspired again to write children's book. Just in case I'll publish Octavio the Suckable Oyster I'll offer it to your students.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please, and could you send a signed copy? I have to do the censorship first though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're students are so blessed to have a teacher like you :)

    ps: don't let them read KJ's books! hahahaha!

    KJ: Octavio the Suckable Oyster? hahaha! interesting title for a book. can't wait to corrupt my mind with it! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're always welcome, my friend.

    keep safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.. ive never really had that perception on my teachers, i just used to see them as "ballbreakers" chasing you with late assignments, and picking on you if your late etc.

    nice thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teaching is one of the more tiring yet very rewarding professions.

    Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi krishA,

    There is probably a big difference between Early Childhood Educators with those who teaches upper grade levels. There is a need for ECE teachers to be more compassionate, more giving, and less demanding. Thanks for the visit. I appreciate it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi electropunk,

    You are right indeed! The rewards come not from the money we take home but with the smiles, the hugs, the thank you's, and the respect we get from our students.

    Thanks for the visit. With appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah...i agree with you. the words startled even me when i wrote this a month ago. i'm not sure where the inspiration came from. they just came to me one night while listening to this song by deathcab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi. thanks for dropping by my blog. how did you find me?

    thailand. i love kanchanaburi.

    kids. fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lucas,

    I do not know deathcab but it sounds sinister to me :) Inspirations come from all sorts, mine would always come from what I am feeling that certain day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi atticus,

    I cannot recall whose blogroll I clicked but it was the title that intrigued me. Then after reading the entry, I felt sad because I remembered the students we had whose lives were lost during the tsunami tragedy. Our school mourned for a year.

    Kanchanaburi is one of my fave places too. I like staying at the river side. Rustic and quiet.

    ReplyDelete