Tuesday, September 7

Stitches Out, Gossips In

This afternoon, I went back to the hospital to get the stitches out. The doctor who did the stitching was the one who removed them as well. He didn't let the nurse do it nor an assistant but he himself. I kind of like this doctor who had been caring and gentle to me. While removing the stitches, he mentioned that I am a sensitive person and I told them he was right. He heard from my other doctor that I cried when the latter was about to perform endoscopy. I told him I cried too when I was wheeled to the operating room for surgery. Then I added emotional and sentimental to describe me fully.

A lot of people dislikes sensitive people as they are rather fragile in emotions and weak in accepting faults. However, the sensitivity in me goes beyond being hurt or being called names or when I am subjected to rejection. The sensitivity in me is being aware of what is going on and what is to happen next. I do see the relevance of events. I make sure I am not stepping on people's toes. I try to be more of a listener and a doer rather than a complainer and a speaker. I know when to stop talking. I feel for people, see through them and in a not so good way, become like them, absorbing their energies and thus making me sad at times, but hopeful at most.

I couldn't stand watching war movies, moreso, acts of violence including rape. I cringe at the sight of disasters and desolation. I cry when I see young children begging for alms instead of attending school. Yet with all these things which are real and around us, my saving grace is that I am not callous and that I have not lost the humane part of me: I help, I volunteer and I share.

Crying with no reasons and being weak at the same time would render nothing but lost opportunities to grow. My emotions are released through tears rather than violent acts or loud noises. If I had been doing nothing but to surrender to my emotions, then I couldn't have done many things that I am proud of.

"I don't like the sight of blood.", I told my doctor. "I like blood but I don't like to see people in pain.", he said. "That's good to know and I am glad to have met a sensitive doctor like you."

2 comments:

  1. They say sensitive people have been blessed with the sensitivity to reach out to people, to feel their pain and be able to understand. They call them empaths. Maybe you are called to help out sad people.

    And I guess it'll be fun to watch movies together. we both are cry babies. but I cry more seeing good stuff, good deeds, than anything else. For all others, I get all worked up, feeling like an activist with scenes of injustice, poverty, and all those social issues. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a relief to find someone who also cry watching movies. I'll sit with you and we could appreciate the beauty of life through silent tears. Empathy is one of the things I teach in school. It was even part of an action research I did for my masters. It's either you have it or not.

    ReplyDelete