Monday, October 25

Rosemarie

With little expectations, I was told that there was a need of a substitute teacher in a small school far away from where I was currently residing. It was three long rides before reaching the place. In a small quaint house was a school for the locals primarily geared towards the younger age. It was a house filled with activities.

I was introduced to the owner of the school and with her stature as an educator of excellent background, I stood there like a little kid awed. She is Rosemarie, an American educator who worked with the Peace Corps and then started a life anew in Thailand. She started a small school that catered to the need of the people in that village and she became a household name for the years to come.


Her persona is magnified in hundred folds as she is brilliant, caring, and always believe in people. She is a real hero for most, surviving difficulties all throughout and bracing whatever comes her way. She stood up high and became a beacon of success.


I was privileged enough to be one of her first teachers and was equally proud for being the person in charge of helping her establish her preschool in another posh village. I remember riding a pick up truck and going to Chinatown to purchase some supplies needed for the school, a day before the opening. It was fun!


The ride wasn't smooth as it was a new school. There had been problems and issues but resolved under the leadership of this magnificent woman. I was in many troubles with her and she managed to work with me even when I was being complicated. I became a part of her school for ten years from the very start to the flourishing years up to having built my name as an educator.


Until now, she will always be my mentor. I enjoyed my stay at her school and I do wish that all my efforts were not left unfounded. I knew from stories around that I am remembered and cherished. In my own little way, this becomes a fitting tribute to a woman who gave me the opportunity and the chance to become great.

No comments:

Post a Comment