Wednesday, October 6

Lin Lao Shr

After graduating with a degree in arts, I pursued a masteral program in religions through a scholarship from the same university. I wasn't doing anything in the mornings so when my friend called for a part time job, I went to meet the principal.

It was difficult for me to understand the way the principal spoke because I wasn't familiar with her accent. I lost my Chinese when I went to the university and had no contact whatsoever of my Chinese friends. It was tough seated there and trying to decipher the language and making sense of what she was saying. I was rescued by her daughter then when the latter started speaking English.


Knowing Lin Lao Shr after I was hired was a delight in itself. She was a veritable house of knowledge and spoke volumes in terms of teaching skills and techniques. We always ran to her when we were in need of help regarding a student or from an unreasonable mom. She was always smiling and we considered her as our mother.


She was an honorary member of some of the prestigious Chinese schools around. She was invited most of the time to be a speaker and she always shared stories of her life and her beginnings. When I left the school after being there for six years, I heard from some of my former colleagues that she spoke highly of me in one of her talks. She spoke about giving opportunities to all, and giving a chance to those who wanted to work in the teaching profession. Being a male person and a rarity at that time, I became a role model in her eyes and it was her teachings that shaped me to be a good teacher.


I owe her my humble beginnings. I was the grumpy, emotional and self-centered individual just out of college and knowing nothing about the world and teaching. Her guidance, assurance and words of wisdom had helped me find the direction I was intended to. She was the epitome of a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment