Tuesday, October 12

Aunt Laura

Invited to attend a Christian service, I happened to met one wonderful lady by the name of Laura. She was a stern looking woman but knowing how stern looking people are (I am one!), I immediately took a liking to her personality.

Laura was an accomplished pianist, having played in many occasions including concerts for the royal family. She was well-known in her circle and was loved by everyone. She would be invited here and there and she enjoyed the glitter and the privilege to belong.


Laura was the one who accompanied me to the next person in my tribute line. She was instrumental in making me change, to be a better person. She encouraged me to believe in myself and something that she saw in me that I happened not to noticed. She believed in me as a person, and as a teacher.


People from the school often praised her for her true and vibrant spirit. She always had something for the staff to eat and when I was sick once, she sent some food to my place which was a lovely gesture. She was a family member, my adopted aunt.


We attended parties together, met people and had fun during weekends or holidays. Her songs in school and the music she created while playing the piano still lingers in my memory. We parted ways when I decided to leave.


Coming back after two years of absence, I heard that she passed away from health reasons. She was penniless at that time and one good friend shouldered the expenses to send her home. She was one of the most giving person I had met, that money was not the objective of her existence, but to share her expertise and genuine concern to others.


I cried upon learning her demise and I am proud to have had the opportunity to be with her even for a short time. She will be remembered and without doubt, a great part of my life as an educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment