Tuesday, April 12

A Short Musical Treat


I like going to flea markets especially when there are things related to arts. Just two days ago I was walking through the streets of Chiangmai to browse on items in a place they called Walking Street. It is a long stretch of road lined with wares such as clothing, art stuff, accessories, food, silverware, souvenir items and other things. There will be around three intersecting streets along that long road where massage chairs are lined up, more food and stalls, and artists sketching faces.

I ended to the Three Kings Monument where the art fest was being held. I managed to watch a fine musical extravaganza of Thai musicians using their local musical instruments. Then an international playing band came after them. They are from the Netherlands and called themselves Jigger Bigger Band and I was in for a treat.


The band doesn't use any electronic devices to hook their instruments. It was just the banging of their drums, the blowing of trumpets and trombones, and using some other percussion instruments that really made it a powerful music experience to hear. They played songs from the eighties including pieces from Broadways. It wasn't impossible to not dance as the vibes and the energy of the group spread out in full force to their viewers. It was a feast to see people stood up from their seats to actually participate and dance, something I rarely see in Thailand.


Music makes the soul alive and being alone didn't bother me that night. It was the experience of being in that moment, at the right time and place that made my life complete. It was music that accompanied me through another journey. It was short but a great treat.

2 comments:

  1. sayang,sana nakuhaan mo ng Video :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, very short though, just to remind me of that great night.

    ReplyDelete