Wednesday, April 14

A Short Walk

I am a walker. I walk all the time. I walk out of my village to reach the entrance fourteen streets away. So when I lost the ability to walk because of knee related injury, I was devastated.

When I was in grade school I was hit by a school bus and had to be in the hospital for less than a month. I had a motorcycle accident and left me in crutches for a week and limping for a month. The very last incident was health related as my knee swelled and I had to literally drag myself out of school, towards a cab to go to the hospital.


When I walked the vast grandeur of the Imperial Garden in Beijing years ago, I almost lost the strength to go back to the main entrance as I was exhausted beyond exhaustion. My knees were about to snap and my legs were aching. I gathered whatever was left inside me and finally made it back to my hotel. The walking gave me the opportunity to see the magnificence of the palace. The walking made me stronger in spirit.
The walking became a test of endurance.

There are many stories of people who had battled their greatest enemies and faced their waterloos. There are many stories of people aiming for great heights and achieving things beyond their expectations. They aim high and they try their best. All because they believe that they can do things far beyond their capabilities. It is in trying, in persevering and in harnessing the strength within that we win.

No comments:

Post a Comment