Saturday, August 24

Reminiscing My Love

As I grow older, I cannot but recall the glorious moments when I went into theatre which is my first love. Starting young in high school, I was always excited to attend my drama class with Mrs. Era where I portrayed many roles in our class acting activities. After one stage play in high school, there was no follow up during my university years as I was studying to be in priesthood (seriously).

When I started working, I was the shy fellow and I need to do something about this so I attended an acting workshop at the Cultural Centre of the Philippines. I can vividly recall what my teachers told everyone after two weeks of attendance.

"I am so disappointed with all of you except for Jonathan!", said Frank Rivera, our acting mentor. "When Jonathan arrived late the first day of class, I looked at my assistant and blurted, another nerd! However, he is the only one who writes down all the pointers in class, who listens intently and follow all the instructions and blew us away with his first acting presentation. I wanted you to be like him because if you cannot, please do not come to class anymore!"

Then after some years, I attended another acting class given by Monique Wilson under her New Voice Company. There were almost forty participants during the early weeks of classes until the number dwindled to less than fifteen. There were only two men left and some of the ladies had to performe male parts. I learned that most were intimidated by the use of English while performing in class which was a pity because it wasn't an English camp, it was an acting workshop. We performed Our Town.

I remembered walking down the school hall when I met a friend named Kelly McKay and she looked at me and gave me the widest smile ever. I asked her why and she just said, "Perfect!" Later I received a notice asking me to report at the school's auditorium and there was Dennis Marasigan, the theatre director, who seemed to be unaware of my presence until I was introduced to him by my friends on stage. I immediately got the part without knowing what I will be doing. 


The Eunuchs

The Proteans

The Dancers

In summary, I felt like an outsider since I am not being directed as to where I should stand or walk. I made my own moves. Fortunately, all the ad libs I did worked so well that after all the performances, I was so popular that I get morning greetings whenever the faculty and students see me. I did two plays for the school, A Funny Thing Happened on My Way to the Forum and Aunt Mame.


Aunt Mame

Nora (Cheryl) and Ito (Jonathan)

My best memory of being in my last theatre play was when I accidentally bumped into Tami Monsod in Thailand a few years after. "Oh my, you are here in Thailand," she said. "I have to tell you that someone from our last theatre play wanted to know you more but that person was just so shy to approach you. After that play and the school year, our friend left Manila downhearted." Sighs...

Here, I became a children's theatre director after my stint in Manila and had been teaching drama for young children ever since. Though I had not been on stage for a long time as an actor, my heart still and will be in theatre arts. 

39 comments:

  1. Sonice to know one of your love Jonathan. Lalo lang akong hunanga sa mga talento mo.. God's blessings. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ms. Joy, and I miss it a lot. God had been gracious. Take care as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huwaw!!! Pa Autograph pag nagkita tayo!

    Di pa ko nakakakita ng theater actor in person eh.

    Ang galing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pa autograph ka diyan, ako nga ang hihingi dahil celebrity blogger ka rin, gaya ni Ms. Balut. Habang nagtitinda ka kasi ng flaslight, uma acting lang naman, pareho tuloy tayong walang kita, ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huwaw, I didn't know na isa pala kayong Theater Actor sir Jonathan. Ang galing naman :))

    at naka rubbing elbows nyo na rin pala si Monic Wilson. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes fiel and many more, hindi ko na lang binanggit, ha,ha,ha. Next time, yung singing at emceeing stints naman, yabang lungs! Kidding aside, thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, theatre performer ka pala..Galing! Sarap balikan ng first love. Nawa'y magkaroon pa rin ng puwang ito in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was and for now, I perform for the children. Sana nga magkaroon ulit ng chance to shine bright like a diamond, biglang kanta. Have a great Sunday Ric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ive been having issues posting comments lately... but i dont wanna miss this....


    as you teach those kids, for sure, one of them will rise as a little you :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received a FB comment from a former student, now that she is in the university, telling me that she remembers me when she went for volunteer teaching. I cried! Thanks yccos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the other side may tinatago pla kyo...

    Talented!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Itatago ko na lang sana Josh pero sayang naman kung hindi ko ma post as a souvenir or memory of my past. Thank you for the comment, ikaw kaya ang talented at celebrity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow nakakaelbis ka naman sir jonathan, ako never pa ko nag ka strength para subukan yan haha
    sample dapat pag nagkita tayo someday ahh

    ReplyDelete
  14. MEcoy, sure ka, ha,ha,ha. Siya pag nagkita tayo dapat pala naka-period costumes tayo para memorable. tapos may mga dialogues from stage plays, ha,ha,ha. Thanks MEcoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You inspire a lot of us :)

    pag uwi mo sir jonathan, lets visit las casas filipinas de acuzar. Its a resort that haS century-old houses. And we can do a photoshoot in there with costumes and all... Sobrang gusto ko talaga makapunta dun at makpag photoshoot ng naka-filipiniana clothes complete with friars and guardia civils. At naka modern ... hehehe... ayun lang :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Walang problema, set na natin, first week of January, bagyo o wala tuloy ang photoshoot! Si SuperM magbibitbit ng kape, si Asiong ang photographer, si Jessica ang bahala sa set, si Ms. Joy sa flower arrangements, si Ms. B in charge sa pagbayad ng rental kasi siya ay isang celebrity, as in rich!

    At inutusan ang mga PBO members, ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly, di ko naexperience mag-theatre when I was young, though I am interested in this art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok lang yun geosef, kung hindi man tayo naging stage actors puwede namang involved pa rin sa stage plays such as watching ones or volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. VIOLENT REACTION/COMMENT STARTS HERE:

    Hooy! Ikaw pala ang celebrity dyan!!! Imagine di man lang ako nakapagpa-authograph sayoo!

    Di ko alam kung saan nag-start yung "celebrity blogger" at lalo na yung "rich". Walang proof yan. Pero ikaw hayan ang katotohanan = isang tunay nan celebrity! Pa-autograph daliiii!

    OMG may kilala na akong theather actor! Amasoproud!

    Ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ms. B, talagang capital letters talaga.

    Hindi ko alam kung saan galing yang celebrity na yan, pero aaminin ko, sa akin galing yung rich, kailangan kasi namin ng sponsor para sa photo shoot. Soewee na! Naisip ko nga, gawing calendar for 2014, lahat ng available members ng PBO to dress up, period costumes, ha,ha,ha.

    Naaaliw naman ako sa mga comment threads, kahit sa ibang blogs, mayroon na siya.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm just kidding with the violent comment ha ha

    But tuwang-tuwa talaga ako knowing this new info about you :) Ohmeged so talented!

    Go na sa photo shoot feel kong maging si Cleopatra. Sagot na ng kunehong si Pao Kun ang expenses. Yang batang yan ang tunay na mayaman eh (evil grin)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aba may bago na pala akong friend, ha,ha,ha.

    Gusto ko nga yung violent reaction, mas personal. It was good I met some of you in person kaya nakakatuwang mag comment sa ibang blogs. At least may mga kilala ako.

    Siya, pag natuloy yang photo shoot, we will let you know.
    Ano kaya ang costume ko? Hmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw. Namiss ko namang magteatro dahil sa post na ito. :)

    You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Umi, I posted for remebrance sake at na mi miss ko nga lang. This school year, the parents are clamoring for the drama class I used to teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi hi. Ako pala flower girl sa settings paguwi natin:) sanamay madala pa ko flowers. Winter na dito january. Hope makauwi ako january next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Akala ko romantic love... uma-acting ka?

    ReplyDelete
  27. awwww.. napahanga naman ako sayo. dati pangarap ko din umarte.. nung bata ako at highschool kasali din ako sa mga theater.. pero unknown ako.. sagigilid lagi sa mga play na nasasalihan ko.

    nung college nag dissappear na tong pangarap na toh.. katulad mo naging busy..

    ewan ko lang kung may bubunga muli sa future..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, bilib ako sa mga theater actors. I don't think I will ever find the courage to be on stage. Talagang may stage fright ako simula yata nung fetus pa ako hahaha!

    I hope someday to get to act again on stage. Invite us, your readers. Manonood ako...pero I won't tell you na andun ako kasi nga anonymous ako eh haha!

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Ms. Joy - by hook or by crook, we need to see each other if ever ou visit this coming January. Gonna be a blast!

    @ senyor - hindi ako puwede magkuwento ng romantic love, pag tsitsimisan ako ng aking mga high school friends who read these postings. Wala silang alam, ha,ha,ha.

    @ kamilkshake - aba may theatre person din pala dito. Malay mo, magkaroon ng pagkakataong ipakita muli ang ating mga talento. Bloggers Talent Show!

    @ nortehanon - thanks pero malabo na yatang umakyat pa ako ng stage. Sobrang ka busy han, at anonymous ka pa, eh dadalawin kita diyan.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mahilig akong manood ng theater plays mula 3 years old until dito sa Norway last 2008 huli kung nakapanood, hangang hanga kasi ako sa mga theater actors talaga. At wow isa ka palang theater actor dati. Ihahanda ko talaga ang pentel pen at ako'y magpapa sign sa tshirt ko he he he if ever lang mameet kita in person Sir Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ gracie - maraming mahilig sa teatro pero wala naman kasing kita kapag nag full time ka dito. A number of my family members are into arts and theatre so nasa pamilya siguro yun. Anyway, magkikita tayo kahit nasa Norway ka. Umuuwi ka pa rin ba sa Pinas?

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow! napaka-talented mo talaga kuya!! super bilibs ako. hihih

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Jessica,

    Nahiya naman ako. Part of my life so posted them. Thanks for visiting. Busy much?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haha! I mi-meet kita pero magsusuot ako ng maskara kasi too shy ako eh hehehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ gracie - malamang pala magkita tayo, if not bisitahin ko na lang kayo at si Ms. Joy sa Norway, he,he,he. Akala mo mayaman, ha,ha,ha, mayabang kamo!

    @ nortehanon - ano ito, Phantom of the Opera, ikaw si Phantom at ako si Opera, ha,ha,ha. Maplano na nga eskapo next summer of July.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your photos and story.

    ReplyDelete
  37. hala kung alam ko lng nagpa-autograph na din ako hehe. pero wala ng titindi pa sa pag-aayos niya ng abstract ng book ko. so proud of you Sir Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
  38. @ mana - thank you so much for the visit. I do enjoy seeing your comment and presence in here, in my small world of blogging.

    @ ambot - ako nga dapat ang nagpa autograph at nag pa pikture, wala man lamang tayong pic na dalawa, sayang pero ok lang, na-hug naman kita, ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete