Tuesday, December 24

A Different Christmas

Nine years ago, I went back to the Philippines to be with my family. It was going to be my mom's 60th birthday and we planned a big event for her. She knew of the activities because it was sort of a request from her. We just made sure that everything was in order. 

That day when visitors started arriving as early as four in the afternoon, we were all in a frenzy for we have nothing prepared at that moment. Food were ordered but will be delivered at six so we got some ready meals for the two bus loads that my mom, apparently, invited from the province. I fondly remember calling a party rental place to supply us with more chairs and fifty chairs were delivered to the house. Since we do not have a lift in the building, the man refused to bring them up the stairs so I ended carrying them and it was gruelling. I was panting incessantly with the last three chairs. We had around 150 people in that party while simultaneously, a wedding was happening on the ground floor of the building for 100 people.

Anyway, it was the best party ever. There were plenty of food and entertainment. There were songs rendered by some solo artists, choirs, bands and dancing from pretty ladies to the amusement of the men. There were plenty of songs and my mom's favourite, karaoke singing. She was a belter as she used to sing in clubs and in radio stations during her younger years. 

After that memorable event, we decided to do away with the birthday/Christmas parties we do every year for some personal reasons. And for the last three years, it was just as simple as a small gathering of family members, not even complete, with some food and drinks. It became less and less frivolous but more and more sad. We knew that time was getting shorter. We had been anticipating something, not that we wanted to, but it sure did happen.

Last year, I opted not to go home for personal reasons. I didn't put any tree or ornaments in my house. It was like being a scrooge, not acknowledging the spirit of Christmas. But I was home in January and gave my mom an elephant necklace. She couldn't even put it around her neck. Her health was frail and failing. 

This Christmas, there will be no celebration whatsoever. It will be our first Christmas without her though we will always remember her as a co-celebrant of Jesus as they both celebrate their birthdays on the 25th. May the Lord bless the soul of my mom and may we be granted peace in our household as we start anew with our lives.

30 comments:

  1. Awww... very nostalgic naman itong post nyo sir Jonathan... bigla akong nakaramdam ng konting kurot ng kalungkutan :(

    Naku, I'm sure wherever your Mom is right now, she is now happy watching over you.

    Cheer up na po kayo :) Paskong Pasko oh, there are tons of reasons to be happy!

    Happy Merry Jolly Christmas sir Jonathan. Inom tayo ng red wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. u surely miss ur mom. happy birthday to her. sana there still be a simple celebration and Make Christ the reason for your Christmas. maligayang pasko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nag share lang ako. It is very different to be without her for the first time but remembering her when I took care of her in the hospital two Christmases ago. It was our bonding moment.

    I will be happy and merry because I look forward to what is to happen. I am also glad that you are always around fiel. Thank you so much for the company, web wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jei Son,

    I do miss her because she was the glue to our family relationship. I opt for simplicity and finding peace by being by myself is the best gift I can give myself this Christmas. Have a merry Christmas to you and hopefully we can be buddies this coming year sharing all about teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sure sir Jonathan. looking forward for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know the feeling.

    Celebrating the Christmas knowing that the family is no longer complete....

    * cyberhugs *

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would just like to share the following with you Jon. They're from Mitch Albom's 'For One More Day':

    “When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times.”

    “There's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begin.”

    I hope you'll still have a meaningful Christmas. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rix,

    If there is one thing that binds our connection is the mother stories we share. Cyberhugs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @geosef,

    I was awakened by my mobile phone as there was a new mail and it was this comment you wrote for this post. I read it twice and cried knowing today is different because she is gone and that it is different because there are people like you.

    I always admire your wisdom. Thank you for sharing them here. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless !
    Season's greetings and new year wishes in advance !

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Rajiv,

    Happy New Year to you as well, been long not seen you blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I never meant to make you cry ha. *hehe*

    Always smile, okay? Smiling never fails in making one's heart feel lighter, even when its load seems to be as heavy as Earth. I know because that's what I do when I'm down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Geosef,

    Emo me! I am always the stern looking person but I will keep that in mind.

    Really, and what kind of smile do you do when you are down, the naughty one?

    Joking aside, thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am currently reading the Mitch Albom book Sepsep had shared the quote from. Diba dapat hindi kasi, more more sadness lang. Pero I still read.. Lels.

    HAppy Birthday to your Mom, she is never gone. She is an angel watching over you :D Merry Christmas again :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @jonathan

    Hindi ah. Wide smile lang naman. Yung feel good na smile. Smile as if you are smiling to someone you love.

    @yccos

    Haynako po. Pinaiyak ako ng book na yan. Grabe. Mama's boy kasi ako, kaya affected much ako sa story. Kahit sa second reading ko, napahagulgol pa rin ako. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope you will enjoy your visit here in the Philippines next year...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been busy during the holidays...Maingay, masyadong abala, gawa dito, linis duon...Nakaraos na din kahit papaano... Pero you know what I missed silence and meditation, Yung sarili ko lang.. but then I've realized through your post na baka nga maging masyadong tahimik na din ang mga susunod na Pasko ko kung ganun din ang hahangarin ko,, maybe a balance of silence and merry-making. Yun na lang siguro... Anyway, Christmas is always in the heart. Anumang okasyon, ang pagdiriwang ay nasa puso't isipan. Happy New Year Sir. Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ yccos,

    Mga book worms! Thanks for the greetings and I know that my mom is always there for me. Happy New Year cher!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ geosef,

    Parang gusto ko na rin basahin yang book na yan, mahilig kasi akong umiyak. Emo munch talaga!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Rix,

    I will, isa ka sa mga ime-meet ko and will try to make arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Ric,

    Tama, too much of anything is not healthy. Kung sobrang saya, hahanapin mo yan lagi. Kung sobrang lungkot, nakakaiyak naman. Kung sobrang pagod o busy, hindi din healthy.

    Christmas is in the heart, tama yan! So everyday should be a time for giving, and forgiving. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is sad and very true, the way it should be, Jonathan. Let this Christmas be special for you and your family, full of fondest memories of your mom.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Indeed Irina, that my mom' s departure should not be of sadness but of a celebration, to continue what we have. Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ay natawa naman ako doon ahahaha. anong arragement po yan? lolz

    ReplyDelete
  25. na sad naman ako sa post mo sir,
    kala ko masaya pero ganun pala nanyari,
    sorry to hear that, but the bright side of it is that she is now celebrating her bday along with Christ in heaven

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dami ko namiss sa blog mo sir jonathan is better to be late than never hihi , well merry christmas and happy new year to u :)

    Ur mom will always remember the good things and happiest moments nio ...


    Smile :)

    Hugs and kisses ,

    Kulapitot

    ReplyDelete
  27. Naka-relate naman ako dito kahit na 2 Christmas nang wala ang Inang ko. Nakakapanibago talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ina kasi Ambot, kaya hindi siya malilimutan. Ang kinaiiyak ko lang, pati pamilya namin nagka watak watak. :(

    ReplyDelete