Thursday, December 12

Hate To See You Go

I used to live in a smaller house, wooden in structure where the lower part housed the store. I had a small bedroom, partitioned with a curtain as one part was used as a walkway to another room. It was one simple set-up. There was one table, one bed, and a zip in closet for my ample clothes. That was many years ago.

I was offered a job to work in another country when I was finishing up my studies in one of the universities in Manila. When I left, the room became a storage of sorts for some industrial parts that we sell. My things got lost. Although I was able to save some when I placed them in boxes though most were inundated by flood as they were stored downstairs.

In my many years away from 'home', I never knew that my family built a bigger place for themselves. One Christmas break, I went home and was surprised to see where my parents and siblings were staying. It was a far cry from the humble wooden house we used to live together.

There wasn't a space provided for me when I toured the building. I was told since I wasn't permanently living in the country, I can crash with one of my siblings whenever I needed a bed to sleep during my stay. I was broken hearted because I wasn't part of the 'plan', I was a mere' extra'.

To cut the story short, I was reluctantly given one of the units because of a personal issue between my siblings and my father. I took the offer and in three years, made the empty space grand. 

The doors leading to the main and the guest bedrooms. 

The guest room with the Mongolian artworks from one of my travels.

My bedroom with my precious quilt of which the story is another blog post.

The living room and the dining area in one big space.

My mementos housed in three glass cabinets and
the custom-made dining table decorated with clay food

The kitchen I had never used.

My priced Batibot table and chairs by the balcony.
Then one day, I was told that we owed a lot of money from the bank and that the building was made as a collateral. My brothers and I took the obligation to pay the debt in no time. We wanted to save the place and we did until one of my sibling offered no more help with the cost leaving only two of us paying our dues on a monthly basis. In other words, we weren't able to even tickle the principal cost. We were just paying the interest so we agreed to sell the property.

My grand abode is gone and this is one of the sunsets of my life. I feel defeated by the fact that I tried my best to give my share but some did not even bother. I don't even live there but I was paying a large sum so that I can have my space, an empty one before, and now, literally empty as in air. 

Little by little, my heart breaks as I part with my things since I do not have anything of my own to store them again. I learned a big lesson in here, that I should love myself first, save for myself, and not continuously give unselfishly. I should learn how to say no, and not rely on what is given. I should have kept the money to myself so that I could be living comfortably now. 

So even if my family relationship is not great, I took chances of helping them because I am still a part of them. I wanted to belong but I became a castaway. I wanted us to be together again just like in our old house, but instead, it made me run away for the second time. 

So I say goodbye to all my material things back home and say hello to a new start. It isn't late because I am still strong but I am hoping that by standing firm this time, I will become smarter and braver to face my own realities. 

26 comments:

  1. Sayang nga. This was indeed a letdown. Sobrang ganda ng space mo. I'm sure Ace will love the quilt and the artworks if makita nya ang mga yun. Too bad you never used the place often. :(

    Anyway, I love how you ended this entry with a realization you came up with your own. Things like these could be an eye-opener. Somehow, they are blessings in disguise, because although they make you sad or broken, depending on your EQ, there is a possibility that you will come out of them stronger and wiser. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... sir Jonathan. Sayang po ung bahay ninyo. Ang ganda pa naman. Pero ganun talaga siguro, not all good things last. Kaya kahit masakit man ay kailangan mong tanggapin na balang araw ay mawawala ang mga bagay na pinakaingatan at pinakamahal nyo.

    May hangganan din ang pagiging mabait at magpagbigay. Minsan kase naabuso ka na rin dahil sa kabutihang ipinapakita mo eh. Sinasamantala ng mga taong nakapaligid sa iyo. Kaya it's time na rin siguro na isipin mo na rin muna ang inyong sarili bago ang iba.

    some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your bed kasya ak (laki kong tao noh? lolz) and ang pinaka gusto ko ay yung kitchen mo.... napaka inviting ang ambiance. sayang di sya nagamit madalas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heartbreaking naman ksi talaga yung ganyan hays! well the good thing about it is that you've learned and so much ready to move on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sayang nga ang magandang bahay at kagamitan, but mas sayang ang family na kahit anong gawin mo, hindi nagtutulungan at nagkakaisa.

    Stay strong, Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nalungkot naman ako... considered 'extra' in the family is really painful... Sa akin kasi,mawala na ang ibang tao, wag lang ang pamilya. Anyway, I know you've done your part. Nagsakripisyo pa rin para sa kanila (inspite of everything). Keep on doing the right things and one day, ma-rerealize nila ang 'true worth' mo. Keep on loving them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm not in the position to say anything. I have no idea what's up with ur family...but honestly it's heart breaking to hear that you realized that you regret'd helping your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Geosef,

    I wrote this as an eye opener for those who read my blog postings. Though it is quite late, for the realization, I am still open in making myself stronger and I do believe that I can start again.

    I do not know who Ace is but maybe I should meet him so I could sell him some of my stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello fiel-kun,

    Well said! Mahal ko ang pamilya ko so I helped them out. Pero ang pamilya kasi dapat sama samang nagtutulungan at hindi umaasa sa iisang tao o dalawa. Nagkataon na hindi ko na kaya, dahil may sarili din naman akong buhay kung kaya't kailangan kong bumitaw. Pinabayaan kasi ng nakakarami. Nakakahinayang.

    Yung mga naipon ko, napunta sa bahay pero tulad ng mga materyal na bagay, mawawala din sila at ito na ang oras para magpaalam.

    Tinignan ko lang sila at kinuhaan ng litrato tapos mawawala na lang bigla. Napakalungkot pero hindi pa tapos ang yugto ng buhay. Magsisimulang muli.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard bits and pieces of your story when we had lunch, at dahil bitin nga, di mo nabanggit ang tungkol sa kwarto mo at ng mga gamit mo...

    Isipin na lang natin, material na bagay lang ang mga iyan, nawawala, napapalitan, pero ang grudge and pain, hindi pwedeng hayaang manahan sa ating mga dibdib.. Let go, if you must. Move on, coz you have to and change, for the better...

    Hugs Cher Jo. I know you'll do well....

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Rix,

    Sayang nga at lalung sayang dahil pinaghirapan at mauuwi sa wala. Anyways, napaganda naman niya ang istorya ng aking buhay :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ MeCoy,

    Tama, we all learn from things around us and we make better lives with our experiences. Time to move on and work out things in a different perspective. Change is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of all the comments, Ms. Lili hit the point. Hindi naman mahalaga talaga yung mga kagamitan. Family ranks first pero I was hoping that at the time of the crisis, we should be helping each other. So we all end up having nothing :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Ric,

    I do love my family and kahit na nga ano ang nangyari, I continued my part of helping them. Yun nga lang, ang pamilya dapat tulong tulong and not relying on one or two persons only.

    I am strong and will be stronger. God is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ kamilkshake,

    It is heartbreaking to see someone not helping their own family. I did, based on my posting, but there is a breaking point. If we all did our part then we still have our place to stay. However, I cannot be the one responsible to support them all. I also have to help myself.

    This posting is for me and with this are many realizations:
    a. family is most important
    b. family should help each other
    c. we need to be independent
    d. money is always the root of evil
    e. regret always is in the end
    f. we can rise up again through our own effort

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ cher kat,

    Tama I have to let go of all grudges and pain dahil hindi siya nakakatulong sa health and positivity. I posted the pictures as memories and as a lesson to me and to my siblings.

    Masakit mawala ang mga gamit na pinag-ipunan, ang oras na ginamit at pagod sa araw araw. Pero mas masakit ang mawalan ng tirahan at pamilya. Kagaya na lang ng mga binagyo. Kaya isa siyang aral mula sa itaas, na kailangan nating maging matatag sa mga pagsubok.

    Happy Sunday cher!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ overthinker,

    Malungkot pero laging may pag-asa. Babangon muli!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, you don't know who Ace is... *hehe* Di bale, oks lang. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. If Ace is an art lover, maybe I should meet him to sell some of my stuff, he,he.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pareho kami ng reaction ni Yccos. I heard the story straight from you and it's quite sad listening to you during our meet. But when I read this... it really made me feel extra sad (or painful may I say). Like you, I have things that I keep (collect) not because of its material value but because of the memories and meaning attached to it that has something to do with the paces as we go along our journey.

    About the family/sibling thing - I FEEL YOU. I hope that we'll have another talk that I could share mine to you - it might help a bit. Baka pag narinig mo maging inspiration mo na minsan kelangan mo na ring bumitaw kasi parang hindi na balanse dahil sa sobrang pag consider natin sa values... haist ang haba na neto...

    This post really made me sad but I hope it did help you Jonathan. I just wish that you'll get over from this soon. And I'm sure in time mapapalitan mo rin lahat yan at mas higit pa sa mga yan ang darating.

    Btw, I really missed reading your posts. I need to do a lot of back reading here. Ingats lagi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Ms. Balut,

    Haba ng comment ah. Thank you for the wonderful words and the support. I needed some listening ears though I had already accepted the fact that I will lose some of the most important things in life.

    I still have a job, a house in Bangkok and good health so that's why I am willing to start anew. 2014 is going to be a good year and I will make it as one.

    Thanks for the visit. It is not obligatory, only if you have the time. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very sad story of yours....anyway, I am happy na you are ok now and having your own place. We do have our challenges, but giving up is not an option. Challenges are there to mold us and to continue trusting God.
    Have a blessed day Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Naikwento mo na sa akin ito noong puntahan mo ako sa bukid. Sayang talaga. Pero may mga bagay talaga na dapat bitawan na, sa ayaw man o gusto natin.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Ms. Joy,

    I lost my space Ms. Joy but those are just material things. I will rise up again from all these challenges. I will continue to trust the Lord. He always have a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi aboutambot,

    Oo nga at ginawa mo pang isang post ang kuwentuhang iyan. May dahilan ang lahat, kailangan lang na tanggapin ang katotohanan.

    ReplyDelete