Sunday, February 21

Stories in Photographs

There were a number of photographs I had taken through the years that I am proud of. I looked at them not as mere photographs but as storytellers.  Our photographs speak to us when we fill in the space with our own stories. Allow me to share a few of them.


Kho Kred, Pakkred, Nonthaburi

An abandoned house, tattered and old, gave me a feeling of haunting melo-drama that can be filled with sadness, tears and regrets.  The scattered branches added drama with few leaves left, making the entire photograph looked nostalgic and mysterious.


Siem Reap, Cambodia

A wide pillar became a window where one can see the ruins of Angkor Wat. The effect of the structures with its colours and texture radiated a historical essence reminisce of royalty and monkhood.  A view with a majestic story welcomed that one person who peeked.


Bohol, Philippines

The fading cream colour of the tiles was a fitting reminder of how the ground became discoloured because of the number of visitors and devotees that flocked the church.  For each knee that knelt down or feet that walked on them carried a severity of one's burden of overwhelming trouble or a delight of gratitude and heaping appreciation.  The contrast alone spoke volume.


Taipei, Taiwan

Expansive and linear, Shongsan Park reflected the purpose and vision of those who built this place seeing throngs of people visiting now and in the future. They were visionaries and worked along the needs of the country and its people.

Pakkred, Nonthaburi, Thailand

And lastly, the branches stretched in the air reminded me of hands reaching out to heaven.  This became my backdrop to a letter I wrote for both my mum and my dad, after their demise.  The tree became my only elected tool of connectivity to a long lost form of communication.  It was, and still is,  a photograph filled with stories of regrets, hope and longing.

18 comments:

  1. All your carefully selected photographs could speak a thousand words and move the tears like an ocean. You sure know where to strike a cord to numb my mind and slowed my breathing with heavy sighs. You should write tear jerking scripts for Thai TV soap dramas! 55555

    The aged and worn out floor of the church still invite the devotees to walk up to God.
    The ruins of Angkor Wat often reminds me how powerful and dreadful this Kingdom had once battled with Siam, Burma & others. Today it is gone, nothing is permanent. Someday US might become a Ghost Town too.

    You are so loving and sentimental to write to your parents. If you often offer lights to them at the temples, I believe they will receive it effectively along with your messages and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should do write one or two for others to earn myself some traveling money so I can meet you in all the different parts of the world you visit. I can write a short story for everything that I see and have in my mind, hundred more ideas for my blog posts. It's a personal thing so I write from the heart. I was actually asked by a researcher if he could monitor my posts but I declined thinking that this will become 'writing to impress'.

    Thank you for the added stories regarding the worn out floors and the ruins of Angkor Wat. I can see the last statement as being possible.

    My parents left without me telling them that I truly care even if I am far away. I was driven out because of my jealousy and my constant comparing which were wicks to either be lighted or combusted. I will offer more prayers and light more candles for them to know that they are often thought of.

    My own comment made me cry and I thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, really. And I agree with you, Jonathan...
    Every picture has its story. So much truth, man! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and as I do not know how to call you, let me use Fit as your name then. And as every pic has a story, every comment has a corresponding reply and appreciation from me. Have a great week, man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. photographs do not just capture images but also save the memories.. I have a tita who still keep her photos in photo albums kahit na she has a facebook account to store them
    from time to time, she will look at those photo albums and then she'll tell me the stories behind them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have shown us such beautiful photos. I always like photos telling stories. It is not easy though.
    Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful photos Sir. The stories behind them just made them more beautiful. Thank you for sharing to us beauty and inspiration Sir :)

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Blue,

    Soeaking of albums, I created one for my grandma and now that I remembered them, I will go and look for them and post them here. This blog is a diary for me so it will be used to store memories. And just the album, I also look back on the many years I have been writing as the posts and comments bring so much great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tomoko San,

    The photographs speak to me when I take them so that's why I am also choose the right ones to take. I find it exhilarating to be able to connect my words to a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Cristine,

    I wanted to calture the beauty of the now with the stories I weave for them. So one day, I am going back and say, been there and experienced the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jonathan
    So true Sir Jo... I used to check my old entries too and yes it brings so much memories talaga ^_^ kung hindi lang nagkakaaberya ang internet ko today magrerecap ako ulit hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Blue,

    You have been very busy since I started following you and sometimes, it becomes overwhelming. You are blessed with such dedication that I salute you for your craft. Continue writing and sharing your faith, travels and aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the first one. Daming feels!!!

    You just made me miss my old laptop where I have my old photos. I dont have time to dig into it just yet. When oh When.

    I remember you taking a lot of photos when we were in Palawan. Walang nakalampas! Haha :)


    ReplyDelete
  14. Nakakainggit sir, you;ve been to a lot of very nice places, bonus pa tong magagandang pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Cher Kat,

    The Coron pictures will ne in another post. I am looking at older ones and I know there will be more pics coming up. I am making the postings as spread out evenly and I am overwhelmed by the numbers. Daming feels, scary and eerie would be two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Oliver,

    Long time eh, happy to see you here once again. I try to be more spread out in terms of travel experiences that's why I do the beach, the mountains, the posh places, and out of the tourist trail areas. I take pictures because I am now getting confuse as to where they were taken so sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Obviously, I am much more interested in the view of the Angkor Wat and the story the could've been behind it. The majestic panorama regarded by the pensive eyes of a troubled sovereign. So me. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So you talaga, Mr. T. It would be more grand if you dressed up and walk the ruins to re-enact history, favoloso!

    ReplyDelete