Thursday, April 3

Terrariums

Some time ago, I went to different bookstores scouting for a book about indoor gardening. Not the type of covered roof enclosing the plants in a greenhouse because that would be ridiculously expensive but, something like a bottled terrarium. So after tending a fairly huge garden for many years, I thought of doing something smaller in scale but to no avail.

Then out of nowhere while I was reading the local papers, a short article about glass terrariums sparked my sleeping interest anew. Since it was going to be a friend's birthday and I wanted to surprise her with something different. This is going to be a nicer surprise.

Off I went to visit this small cafe that also served as the hideaway of a man whose hobby was to create miniature glass enclosed plants. He wasn't there the first time I visited so I was entertained by a younger lady who spoke with a British accent ( and I'm a sucker for accents).

"How lovely are the bottled terrariums!" I spoke as I was meticulously eyeing the samples laid on the table. "May I inquire as to the cost of this one? (while holding a small bottle). I almost dropped it because it wasn't inexpensive. The bottle was even smaller than my fist but the price, my dear, is equivalent to three hours of a Thai massage and they don't look nice to give as a present.

Since I don't want to be taunted as a cheapskate, I asked for something bigger, even bigger than my head, or ego perhaps, to give as a gift to my beloved colleague. Oh, surprise of all surprises, I cannot get it on the same day as they needed a week to organize the materials and set them up. I was very sorry for not being able to give it to my friend on her special day but a week wasn't that bad as a wait. So off I went lighter, wallet-wise. 

I received four e-mails in a span of six days from the owner until I was asked to pick up the coveted present. I was giddy because I get to look first hand the masterpiece the artist had created as I had seen it only on the net. The owner of the shop was there and I finally met the apple of my eye, I mean, the man behind the e-mails. 

"Hello!" And some handshakes and of course another set of bills to pay in full. Off I went to my friend's house and she was ecstatic to see the gift, a garden of her own, in a huge mayonnaise jar. I was so scared that I might drop it along the way since I was riding a motorbike. 

I am signing up for a course or may look up on the net about terrarium gardening. So if I find some spare time, I will be just home cooking up something new, a terrarium of my own.

My gift to my colleague.

21 comments:

  1. Coincidentally that was a school project of my younger sister a few months ago :) They made a terrarium with cartoon characters inside. Something like this (Excuse the long hotlink)
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/2e/ae/93/2eae93a82ad8b0a2fa5b217956a50622.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will check it out. What an expensive school project eh or maybe it is cheaper back there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well its waay cheaper here :) Even a can of sprite is cheaper here in the Phils compared to elsewhere around the world

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute ahaha ako naman gusto ko ng bonsai

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Simon - I wonder why. I might ask the people behind Coca Cola, they are my good friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Rix,

    Nabanggit mo nga yan minsan. I have one and it was a gift. Yung original bonsai na hinahangaan ko sa bahay nila, namatay. Yung binigay nila sa akin na smaller version, ganda ganda lungs! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrarium is one of my daughter's school project from last school year.

    We used the biggest mineral water bottle (I think it's 5 gal) and it has a handle in the neck that made it very easy to carry.

    I just bought the garden soil from a plant shop that costs PhP10 only. Then planted small plants and added artificial insects. The only reason that the whole project's total expense reached to more than PhP 100 is bec we bought the bottle with the 5 gal Mineral water bec we can't find a scrap bottle.

    Natawa ako dito ha ha"
    I asked for something bigger, even bigger than my head, or ego perhaps, to give as a gift to my beloved colleague."

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect gift! ang cute ng gawa nyong terrarium sir Jo :))

    Dati nung elementary, gumawa din kame ng ganyan. Mga langgan naman, lupa at konting damo ang nilagay ko sa loob hihihi XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hongkyot.. I wonder when will i ever start my garden project. Haha.

    Will this be your summer break "new" thing project? Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nyhahaha. buti pa yung napunta sayo alive and kicking lolz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Galing naman. I like that, la lang ko lugar sa house for more plants.
    will be looking forward for yours terrarium:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ms. Balut,

    I wanted to relate the story in a humourous way thus the ego and other stuff. Most of you did a terrarium way back but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to make one during my school days.

    The reason why it is expensive is because of the moss. The dry spell is making it difficult to propagate. Will wait for the rainy season for prices to fall and then will make some bottled projects.

    Using recycled bottles is a great idea. I have some at home, will experiment with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fiel,

    Hindi ba namatay yung mga langgam kasi kailangan nilang humanap ng pagkain? Kung may mga ganyang projects sa schools, bakit hindi siya popular as a hobby sa Pinas? Hmmm... Hindi ko rin siya naririnig nung school days ko. Naisip ko lang mag bottled terrariums kasi nga tinatamad akong magdilig. Sayang sa tubig.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Cher Kat,

    Summer starts in June. Antay muna ako dumami moss sa garden so I can scraped them to put in a bottle. Mahal kasi yung moss. Mayroong dry ones pero hindi kasing ganda ng real ones.

    Sa Bicol ka mag start magtanim. Nakakabagot din ang walang ginagawa tuwing bakasyon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Rix,

    Nung binanggit ko nga sa nanay ng nagbigay sa akin, sabi ba naman, sa summer daw bakasyon sila sa Portugal so ipapadala raw niya mga halaman nila sa bahay ko. Naging plant sitter pa ako. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Ms. Joy,

    Eh paglabas lang ng bakod eh gubat na so no need to add more inside your house. Besides, filled na yung schedule ninyo to do crochet, card making, and other stuff. I also wish I can do what you can given the ample time I have everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hindi naman sir Jo. may nilagay akong bread crumbs dati dun hehe :D

    yung individual project, sa isang garapon na malaki.

    while yung pang group project, parang bumili yata kami ng small glass aquarium nun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nyahaha bagong job yun singilin mo sya lolz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Fiel,

    The beauty of bottled terrariums is that you don't need to water them regularly so kailangan ng takip. Kung small aquarium eh sisingaw ang moisture so kailangang diligan everyday. I was told na puwedeng mag stay for a year yung mga halaman basta may trimming involved and one has to take care of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Rix,

    Bagong job ko, plant sitter. Balak ko nga magtanim at magtinda na lang, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. go tapos bigyan mo ako ng pursyento dali na please ahahaha

    ReplyDelete