Thursday, February 18

Recollect

I have a lot of students ranging from aged three to eleven years.  I usually teach at their homes after school.  Most of them are affluent, living in big houses furnished with expensive furnitures and appliances.  Some of them are from the middle-ranged but they still have big houses and plenty of material things.

When I was younger, I do wish for a real-sized piano. It reminds me of home. It was the number of hours I tried playing in my cousin's house even though they were against me using their piano.  The conflicts I had with my cousins and our immaturities at that time will always come back to my memory.

source: www.derekspratt.com

The high tech CD players and booming sounds from their speakers remind me of home. My dad had a stereo set where we played LP records and listened to the songs of famous singers and later equipping the system with a karaoke component for all night singing.







source: junk-king.com
Nowadays, television screens are as big as the wall but it was the fun and agony of watching on our black and white TV screen that gave me a fine recollection of home when I was young.  My sister and I would take turns using a long bamboo stick to make the TV button steady as it was already missing.  Once we move, the screen will shut itself off. We watched our favourite cartoons with tired arms.  It was also where we saw our mum on television and learning she played bit roles in some movies.


And when I see a dog, or a pet snake or a chameleon that climbs a planted stick inside the aquarium, it reminds me of my childhood garden and pets.  My pet turtles would always go missing when floods come.  My daily walk with the dogs would be a disaster especially when they wanted to chase people or cats.

All these become remnants of what I remember back home but they are happy memories.  However, it is the familial relationships among my students that I yearn for.  It is the caring, the happy faces, the fights, the jealousy, and the love that makes me long for "home".

14 comments:

  1. It is fun! You are much much younger than me, but we share similar memories!!!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ot is indeed fun to actually have them long time and ago and be amaze at how technology had transformed us and family lives. I bet your household was filled with joy as well Ms. Tomoko. You too, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute to dig out your childhood memories so often. I think my life was easier before as I paid no bills but I am happier today for I can eat, sleep and shop as I like today.

    I also had pets, fights with my cousins and friends without qualms. All my fishes died so often until I gave up. I killed hundreds of cockroaches with insecticides and hot boiling water!!! My bad karma came along with burst intestine & was near death. I prayed for the first time to my God to allow me to die at the roadside inside of alone in the bedroom.

    Here, I am blogging today to create awareness and making friends with wonderful people like Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TM,

    Your realizations are indeed wonderful And to share a part of your childhood in my comment box is a joy to read. Why? Because it tells other people that although we grew in different places, our childhood consists of happy memories, childish pranks, immaturities and learnings. And to let me know of your past health condition makes me think of why I have some illnesses. Karma is working.

    The last line you wrote will be cherished as it is a validation that in the world of blogging, friends can indeed be made. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snake for a pet?!? NO WAY! Hahaha

    I cringe. I simply cannot.

    This simple recollection shares the same logic why in greater scale, like history and cultural heritage, we should aim to preserve. It reminds us of our past and those pigments of memories form part of who we are,of our personal (national) identity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said Pepe, so worthy of a Miss Universe answer, ha,ha,ha. You know what I did this morning? I went to some of the places to trace back and feel once again Manila. I went to Quiapo and Sta. Cruz churches for visits and then walked around to remind me of the ground and route I used to walk and take during my high school days. I did a historical tour of my personal being, to blog, to post and to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pang alta ang mga ganyang lakad, lakas maka-kultura! Haha

      Good for you. Next time, invite fellow bloggers and each should write a piece of that subject. That would be fun, di ba?

      Delete
  7. Hi Pepe,

    It's gonna be a blast if ever. Maybe next time since I am only here for two days leaving to orrow first thing in the morning. It was a random thing to do this morning. Waking up and telling myself, go back to your roots!

    Come with me next time, we'll make lakad pang alta! Ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just in Manila area today and tomorrow as well! In Intramuros. Had I known! Then I had coffee with a couple of friends at SB near DLSU. Oh well. That's another story.

    Errrrr.. Why do I have this heavy feeling while reading this post?

    I miss childhood at home. I miss just being a child totally.

    And Yes, I remember playing with my uncle's "plakas" before. The television set that you would have to hit hard or hold the antenna or the channel turner for the screen to show clear picture... Hihi..

    Whenever I come home in Albay, I make it a point to walk around as well. From home to the seaside. To the market. To thr church. To the pigpen.

    There will always be this place we consider home. Just like some, I consider my blog my home and my very few readers my neighbors :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We share the same sentiments cher Kat and I hope that we can embark on another journey and talk about them. It is good to write my thoughts here but it is much better if I share them verbally with another person. It's going to be spontaneous, rapid chit chats and then silence and then smiles.

    Your last line also speaks about my home where my thoughts, ideas and reflection reside. It makes it bright when visitors come and stay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there. :)
    That's really nice! Fun, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fit Studs,

    Thanks for the visit. The name alone speaks of volume as I look at those photographs, ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After watching the Inside Out film, i always have this thought na once you remember something from your past by seeing an object or a place, it's probably stored in your core memories and Joy was just giving you a recap hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said Blue. I looked at the significance of things and the relevance of my experience and correlate them with the memories stored in my brain. There are always moments of joy, sadness, regrets, and love mixing inside my whole being. But knowing where I came from and where I should be right now, gives me so much to ponder and be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete