Wednesday, February 13

Separation (February 13, 2008)

When I was interpreting for a company for two summers, I got to meet a lot of people from all walks of life. We had the senior officers, the office staff, the factory workers, the foreign engineers, the custodians and the guards. I was at home in this factory because I felt the warmth when I walked around and greeted by the staff every morning.

The guards were very snappy when I arrive (of which I was always the late one) or when I leave the compound. The custodians were always smiling and showing respect. The office staff was accommodating to help me out with things I don’t understand. The foreign engineers were snobs but were great after work. They were hard workers indeed. The factory workers which consist mainly of locals were equally hard working and very friendly. I miss those days when I walked around showered with hellos and smiles.

But what makes it worth to blog, I’ll tell you. I was asked on and on not to mingle with the factory workers. I was told on and on again to have lunch with the senior officers or the office staff. I was told on and on again to walk around and “spy” for those people. I surely didn’t do what I was told defying orders from my senior officer in charge until I have to resign because school is to start again.

I understand why the separation but I cannot take it in my heart. I guess I am not born to belong in a corporate world. I was born to be with children, where everyone is a friend.

1 comment: