Saturday, February 9

The Lost Horse (February 10, 2008)


One of the books I chose to read to celebrate the Chinese New Year was called The Lost Horse. It is an ancient Chinese folktale about a man, his son, and a horse- and the ever-changing fortunes of life. It's a relatively metaphysical lesson for a picture book, but Young's restrained and even suspenseful telling brings the message home warmly and appealingly, according to the editorial review for this book.

The wordings were very simple but profound. It shows how we should be facing our fears, our frustrations and our successes when they present themselves to us. It reminded me of my own attitude when I cannot get what I want or when I am experiencing some of the deepest moments of my life.

The Chinese proverb a lost may turn out to be a gain should simply one of the moving factors of life. We always feel desperate for the lost of someone or something without realizing or seeing the other side of the situation. It might be a lesson to be learned or a reminder for us to be more mindful and appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment