Friday, November 21

The Past Remembered (November 21, 2008)


I am the kind of person who keeps memories intact: keeping letters, cards, small items, big presents, a piece of drawing, an art work done by a child, a book, and not to mention pictures. It is very useful after some years as I like to reminisce about old and good times.

The souvenirs I have collected from friends around the world are prominently displayed in three showcase glass cabinets in my residence. They were meticulously wrapped throughout these many years until it was time for me to put them on display. The items where from trips abroad, new friends, acquaintances and a few I purchased as a remembrance of a place I visited. I have a paper weight from Netherlands, a star from Israel, a dream catcher from Mexico, a pencil box from Indonesia, a pen set from India, a brooch from New Zealand and other more interesting stuff.

Holding on to memories does not restrict me from growing. Holding on to these material things does not make me a prisoner of wealth as their value does not come from the price of the items but from the memories they hold. Holding on to the past does not contribute to my decay but brings forth a scaffold to eventually learn and move. Holding on these seemingly childish collections is simply a way to say that I treasure my friendship with the people I have learned to love and still remember.

None of my friends will probably remember who amongst them gave me a wooden Pinocchio from Italy or a small replica of a cottage house from Scotland. The giving away was their way of showing their appreciation but remembering them is my way of showing my bond and love to these friends of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment