Saturday, November 1

Honour (November 01, 2008)



Felipa and the Day of the Dead is about a little girl who misses her beloved grandmother, Abuelita, who passed away. She missed her so much that she decided to find her soul. In the end of the book, the celebration commemorating the Day of the Dead became the focal point where the little girl honoured her grandmother and in the process finally finds Abuelita's soul.

In my life, I have three people that I honour as still living in my heart- my grandfather, my grandmother and my mentor, Lin Laoshi. They had been instrumental in my life and whatever I am having now, was a learning process I had with them when they were around.

My grandfather's hard work and determination to succeed keeps on running in my mind whenever I am faced with situations I feel I cannot bear. He taught me at an early age to work hard by asking me to do marketing for him, cleaning the kitchen and assisting him in cooking. We had a restaurant before and it was in the kitchen that his words were transferred through actions and daily meets.

My grandmother gave me the opportunity to continue with my studies. She gave me the resources to pay for my school tuition and gave me precious advices at the side. Though she wasn't educated, she tried her best to help me with my homework in Chinese. I wasn't able to get high grades and I knew that she was also lost in assisting me with my school works but it wasn't a big deal. It was her effort and she was indirectly telling me how important education was.

My mentor gave me the opportunity to teach. She took me in her arms and trained me to become a teacher. She supported me in my ideas and guided me throughout the process of becoming a good educator. She accepted me as the first male preschool teacher in her school, maybe, in the whole Chinese community. When I left the school, she continuously gave lectures and talks to aspiring teachers and always presented my case as a model for others to follow. She was very proud of me.

Reading the book Felipa gave me the inspiration to write something about the three people who had influenced me as a person. Remembering these three people gave me the courage to write about them so I can share a bit of my beginning. Honouring these three people is something I will be doing forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment