Friday, November 28

Olivia (November 28, 2008)


Olivia is a story about a pig who knows what she likes and works for it. She has a wonderful persona typical of children but with an adult like character to boot. She is funny, demanding, witty, adventurous, fashionable, and pure adorable. She is my current fave though this book had been out for a long time.

It was lent to me by a friend from New Zealand as the story is also a favourite of her child. After that initial encounter with Olivia, I became obsessed in finding a copy for myself to add to my growing collection of children’s literature. I searched high and low, at every bookstore I can find. I even asked a friend who will be taking a vacation to the United States to get me one. She came empty handed. The book was out of print.

And when one is not looking for it, you finally managed to find one at a bargain price. It was even the hardcopy type. I grabbed the book and held it dearly up to the counter. I felt so lucky.

After reading the three series of Olivia (the first, then the other two series), I managed to put another perk in telling a story. The characterization and voice in reading a book, the enthusiasm in invoking attention, and the attitude of a pig with a human persona captured my audience without doubt. Olivia is a winner!

2 comments:

  1. that's nice... i'll look for this one...i'm good in digging up books in bargain shops. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here. well, the book will be a good read for your nieces and nephews. and for you, a nice way to look back at our younger years, to be a child again, yearning to learn.

    ReplyDelete