Monday, July 13

In the Beginning...


I was a confused soul when I finished my high school years. I have no idea where I am going and what to take in the university. No amount of tests or attended talks about choosing the right career had been helpful to my decision to what course to take in the university.

I ended up taking a degree in Philosophy of which helped me think logically and concisely. There were discussions about existentialism, pragmatism and my course favourite, logic. My colleagues in class were seemingly baffled by the endless arguments created in class thus a need for small study groups emerged. Mine was composed of eight friends where aside from chit chatting and eating outs, involved ourselves in the greatest debacle of logical reasoning. I became their group leader, then from years on, approached college days with leaderships and responsibilities.

But a degree in Philosophy did not merit any work as it was a stepping stone to something grand such as law or religious studies. I ended up jobless and decided to make my time worth by enrolling in a Master's programme in Religious Studies.

One day, I received a phone call from a close friend and she asked me if I am interested to work part-time in a school for very young children. Well, this was better than doing nothing in the mornings. I attended the interview and passed, not because of my eloquence or ability to speak other languages. I got the job as an assistant teacher because when I entered a class to peeked into the world of these youngsters, three crying toddlers reached for my legs, hugged them and asked me to stay with them. And thus my story begins...

I am celebrating 23 years of teaching preschool aged children with personal goals to become more patient, more compassionate, more knowledgeable, more loving and the desire to be a better person.

6 comments:

  1. I KNEW IT! I'm talking to a philosopher! whew! i liked LOGIC back in college but perhaps the way it was taught caught me off guard. teachers really play a vital factor in learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. teaching and dealing with kids takes a lot of patience, i suppose...
    More power to you, Sir!

    How about a link exhange, maybe? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logic was my favourite subject next to Existentialism and Chinese Philosophy. There were only three students in class (I am one of them) who passed Logic and that itself was a reflection of how our teacher was at that time.

    Teaching had gone a long way. I had some great teachers when I took a diploma and a masters in teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lance

    Yes, you are right that it takes a lot of patience to teach preschoolers that's why I always seek guidance before I go to school.

    Thanks for the support, I will look into linking the readers to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really??? wow..your teacher must be really--uhmm---nevermind! hehe! Philosophy was my fave subject too... but then again my professor was kinda--uhm--nevermind! hahaha!

    ---
    thanks for the beautiful comment! i really appreciate the effort! writing a comment is one, but writing a comment with rhyming lines is a whole different story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recall letting a professor be dismissed because of her incompetence. I was a student at that time, she asked for my support to reinstate her. I told her, "I come to the university to learn, not to hear her trivial stories." And I don't want to end like her so I pursue excellence.

    Regarding the comment, you're welcome. You actually inspired me to venture in other literary forms, and I am enjoying poetry. Thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete