Thursday, July 16

The Lorax


Dr. Seuss is probably one of the most prolific and famous amongst the many children's literature writers. He is a genius in his own right. Named Theodor Seuss Geisel, born in 1904, graduated from Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature.

One of his most notable book is The Cat in the Hat, a book that inspired his publishers for him to write a book of 220 words, to help with the growing number of illiteracy among school children. Something perky, not the usual boring stuff children need to learn.

It intrigued me that his book The Lorax (1971) is a story about environmental degradation and the warnings made by the Lorax itself about the harm of destroying nature. It shows how greed and success make money and without any concern about what we do with the things around us. It intrigued me because Dr. Seuss was aware of a problem that we will be facing today as he conceptualized the story more than three decades ago.

Though I have to say that many had contributed to the success of environmental awareness but still. there is a need for active participation. As I read the book to the younger generations, I simply couldn't help but point out the beauty of the past. I wanted the impressions to last not on photographs alone but through a direct contact with nature's bounty.

For I am gardener and living with nature has its perks. For I am a teacher and promoting positive action is my goal. For I am a part of this world and I have a responsibility to care and do some action.

No comments:

Post a Comment