Monday, July 20

Perspective










Walking along the weary path
worried face, grumbling stomach
Then stopped to rest and stretched

one hand begging, meager coins to fetch.

Along came a simple man, mindful

with nothing much but just enough
Reached for his pocket, half-full

a smile, a coin dropped, a gesture.

That one piece of metal to behold

added up for a fruitful goal
Of filling the emptiness not of the mind
but of the body, tired, consoled.


The giving spirit to home abound

lost nothing but a weight to carry
For each piece was nothing compared

to a beggar, a polyphony.


One mouth, two, three to feed
harsh, unfair continuous struggles

To survive, battling, lives to live

for what purpose, reasons crumbled.


For what he shared was just a speck
from a wage, hard earned

Undeniably luckier, even for a sec

to see one's upturn.


Oh why have for some, forsaken
deprived of heaven's blessings

To live is pain and suffer, betoken

no basis for any thanksgiving.


But the giver, what motive, the aim
gave to share, a feeling of pity

Was it heart, the mind, or a game
to help, to absolve, conformity?


The hopeful receiver, prayed to seize

a handful, adequate, or meagre.

No strength to see and feel at ease

tomorrow's light to conquer.


The lucky chap who makes a living

walked a path, clear and secured

Defined of care and trust, realizing

life for all its worth, measured.

* The number of poor people increase from 5.4 million in 2007 to 5.7 million in 2008, 11.4% of the total population, 5.2 million in rural areas and 570,000 in towns and cities. The poor, according to the Thailand Development Research Institute are people who earn between 1,749 and 1,800 baht per month. (Bkk Post Spectrum, July 2009)

(Artwork by Cole W.)

8 comments:

  1. Poverty is really crippling our societies...hays...made worse by the global recession.

    ---
    Give and it will come back to you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always thanks for the comment. Indeed the evils of society are always on the rise, we needed good leaders to lift us up. But we should start being a model for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a student I once dreamed of getting some random street children for a sumtuous dinner. But sadly, when I had the chance to earning my keep, that dream never materialized.

    I once went to a province to do my usual field work. Then suddenly while walking a couple of streetchildren went to ask for alms. Culture would bid me to give a penny, but practicalities would tell me the money would not go to their own cause, but to a larger syndicate. I stood there not able to think till the children just left my side. I was sadened with my failure to do what I trully wanted. I hesitated too long.

    I've always wanted to help. But how, sometimes I ask myself. How.

    (sorry for the long comment, the event happend just a week back and still triggered a lot of emotions from me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not ure if you're aware of the political turmoil here in the Philippines, but good leaders are somethings we lack... big time.

    ---
    yeah. the path is there but sometimes the courage to take the step and to make the decision is the one missing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Populations are still exploding, people are getting poorer and starving more...

    They said 2012 is the end of everything, if not most. Do you wish to survive that catastrophe but all of your loved ones are gone, or you'd rather die with them?

    Me, personally, I'd rather survive.

    Im back Mr Athan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jepoy,

    It does not really matter whether we give them something as long as we could help in our own little ways. If we think that our little gestures will benefit others (reminds me of Slumdog Millionaire), then it is the conscience of others that needs awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucas,

    I am aware of the paths taken by countries as they serve as lessons for leaders to be. The problem is when they are then blinded by wealth and prestige that they forget what they were voted for.

    Regarding taking the step, I took one step forward though it was a risk and I am so very glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris,

    I do not like to think of the end, but if it comes, then I have no say as to what will happen. To survive or not, I have to live today and do what I am supposed to be doing so when the end is near, I have contributed a part of me.

    ReplyDelete