Friday, August 28

One Garden Treasure



I recall many presents big and small, given to me when I was still young and when I started teaching. I remember my first dial up toy telephone from my godmother residing in America. I will never forget the water canteen I was so proud to display in my school as a gift from an aunt. I still recall the many chocolates and cloth given to me by my Chinese students or the presents from my international friends.



In my travels, I often meet friendly people who became my good friends. I met people from Korea, Japan, Greece, Malaysia, France, and others. They gave me something to remember them: cards, small souvenirs, or a pleasant and lovely company. But in one of my local trips to the Sunday market, I happened to board a cab driven by a very friendly driver. When I reached my destination, he refused to accept the fare money and asked me not to pay. I declined, gave the money to the driver, performed a wai (polite Thai greeting) and got off the cab with a questioning face.



One day, there was a knock on my door and there he was, the cab driver. He asked me where my residence was during our short conversation but I didn't know he'll be able to find me. He came to ask for some help regarding his project (later discovering he was studying for his Master's), and gave me a small fern plant (7 cm. in length per leaf) as a token of gratitude. He offered me a wai and was never heard of again.



The plant is still with me, prominently displayed with all its grandeur in front of the house door. It is now 165 cm. in length per leaf and still growing. It continuously produce seeds that grows into small ferns which now surrounds the mother plant. It is one of my most guarded treasures simply because it has a history of madness, surprises, friendship, and loss.



Some presents could be traded off, sold, exchanged or returned. This fern plant goes where I go, as I have transferred to three different locations now. It is a living proof of how I love gardening and how I treasure gifts from people who made a difference in my life.

2 comments:

  1. That's one real treasure, I have to admit.

    Life indeed is full of surprises, our lives intertwine to somehow help each other, and somehow share a part of us to someone through gifts.

    i wish I could experience such a feat with my travels. Usually I'm just so overwhelemed with business trips, going to another country is just like going to another hotel but carrying a different language in my ear.

    Hmmm... II'm never really good with plants... I only have these indoor small ones that doesn't need much care. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you described traveling - carrying a different language in my ear. My travels are usually for leisure or to visit friends so I get to enjoy the country and the company. I have a glass cabinet filled with presents from all over, all from friends.

    You may not be good with plants but I suppose you are good with pets. How's your dog?

    ReplyDelete