Tuesday, August 4

A Short Dialogue

"Why are your posts always sad?"

Coming from an eight year old boy, I was stupefied when he asked me this question. I know that most of the posts are about flowers and the way I see the world. I didn't realize that one child will eventually tell me that most of my posts were too sad for him to read. "They are sad because I am a sad person."

"Why are you sad?"

Traversing an hour ride from my student's house to my home, I tried to recall the many happy moments of my life with my friends. In my former school, I had a circle of friends whose company I enjoyed a lot. We meet for lunch or dinner, had Friday games, strolled around the park or biked during Saturdays, and even go out for holidays to other countries or nearby provinces.

"How come you have no friends?"

I do, but I made a choice to be away from them. I do miss them so I give them calls once in a while and I send them e-mails every now and then. I just don't see them physically. We all live afar. And those who are near me are difficult to classify.

"I am sorry."

The child need not be sorry for me but I am just sharing some life lessons. That we make choices and decisions we can pursue. That everyone make plans and make their own lives. That we have a choice to be happy and a choice to refuse to be one. Whatever we decide to do, we better accept the consequences.

"I am your friend."

Yes, and I believe you. The reason why I teach you is because you are so good to me and our simple conversations show your intelligence and deep thinking. I am equally proud to be your teacher.

( art work courtesy of Lucas - 4 years old ; conversations with Tabby- eight years old )

6 comments:

  1. These moments I'm just reminded of the untouched wisdom some kids have.

    "I am your friend" -- I was deeply touched by this. And if we were to see eachother, I would've said the same thing with matching puppy dog eyes. hehe. :)

    And yeah, your posts indeed sound sad. Sad, but full of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my posts stem from the wisdom and conversations I have with my students and the people around me. I am inspired by them and I write about them.

    I considered you a friend since the beginning, when you answered my e-mail. Thank you.

    The child is the youngest reader of my blog. We often discuss them during my meet with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's really amazing how the mind of a child works. their innocence give them freedom to think without boundaries and with depth.

    he's a good kid i can tell. and he's lucky he has a friend in you. keep it up :)

    ---
    Yeah. I always knew she has the stronger heart. And I admire her for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I enjoy my job as much as I enjoy writing about their thoughts and stories. I can be happy with them, cry if I want, and they will not be judging me. They see me as a person, as a friend, and as a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont think you have a sad life, perhaps you are feeling down with whatever it is that you're currently undergoing; but I dont think anyone in this planet has a sad life, coz Im sure, once, you've enjoyed living it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I don't have a sad life because I am bless with so many things and I am thankful of them. I enjoy living life with its ups and downs and when there are people like the three of you, it's a different story.

    ReplyDelete