Thursday, September 3

The Opportunity to Love



When I was in my late teens- scraggy with uninteresting features (not that I became a handsome fellow later), I always envy the people around me. High school was the start of crushes and puppy love which was a little bit late compared to nowadays. College days were seemingly empty of someone to love and the desire to be loved was just overpowering.



I’ve met two interesting and beloved people which became my inspirations throughout. They knew my feelings but I, being cowardly, retreated to my own corner and let the future passed me by. Yes, there were regrets, but the opportunity to love two special people was presented and I took it.



I love my vocation and the children I teach every year. So in my small wonderful world, I make it a point to show them love so that they’ll know its real meaning. When you give love to your child, it is returned. When you show love to your students, it will manifest itself through their actions and words.



When I asked for love, God gave me the opportunity to love, not love itself.

7 comments:

  1. I came back to my old highschool just to inquire for my brother's entrance tests. There I found my old teacher, the only one who didn't leave the school amidst all the sojourn of his colleagues to better endeavors.

    There i realised why i had the best foundation under his tutelege. it was because he loved teaching, and he loved his students.

    i came back this mornign returning with brownies and treats. But these I think weren't enough.

    I bet even if your students grow up, they'd want to come back and thank you for being more than just a teacher, but a teacher who loved them and taught them well.

    Kudos to you Phi Jon!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parents of my students remember me most rather then the students as they are only four years of age. But the love I get from the children the first day up to the last day of school is immeasurable.

    This is one wonderful comment coming from someone I admire for some time now. You are full of wisdom and I commend you for your wonderful spirit and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH... Highschool... you reminded me how old I am now. sigh...

    LOL!

    I stayed in one school from prep til 4th year HS (that's 11 years!). I can say my highschool buddies are my lifelong friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's not talk about how old we are as I am way much older than you and your blog friends. My high school friends are also my closest friends. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [They knew my feelings but I, being cowardly, retreated to my own corner and let the future passed me by.]

    i so can relate to this. when i was in HS i fell in love. and just like you, being all cowardly and conflicted, i didn't take the chance even though i knew that she had feelings for me too. enough said. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here Lucas, and I do regret doing so. I was just glad that, in my earlier life, I experienced love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I am, my good man. And I love you. I apologize for the long wait.

    ReplyDelete