Saturday, September 12

Projects


One of the best things we do in school is to build up both creative and critical thinking skills at an early age. I enjoy having discussions, arguments, and resolutions with my four year old students. In my six years of stay in this particular school, I had done major projects with the children according to their interests and strengths.


My first year was a pond project which was a big challenge for me as I was new in school. The second year was great as we made a movie entirely from scratch. The story board and the actual movie footage of which I had kept had been fond memories of that year. Then the insect project was challenging but definitely worth our efforts. Building up a humongous insect home where all insects co-exists with one another was prominently displayed in one of the rooms for everyone to admire. Then comes the airplane project which was exhausting but equally challenging. A year passed where we learned about the power of communication and lastly a project on growing, from one self to a community.


In all those endeavours, the children had played significant roles where they acted as initiators, communicators, developers, builders, thinkers, commentators, viewers, helpers and leaders. The amount of effort and work given towards all those projects became scaffoldings of new learnings. The amount of time spent on collaborating, leading and doing the projects took one school year each but all with a labour of love. As my students of last school year commented, "If we could stay for one more year, we would love to build more of this project. We are very happy to see the project grows!"


As the teacher, I learnt many things from my students. Their enthusiasm and perseverance are immensely appreciated. Their dedication is simply endearing. Their happy dispositions and ardent desires to learn more are traits I continue to practise throughout my profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment