Tuesday, March 22

Not Too Much To Ask

One of the biggest challenge in class is to make everyone cooperatively work and play together. Knowing that they are on the young side, the challenge is daunting since we all know that at this age, children thinks of themselves and not yet of others. The sharing and helping grows with age, and with the right guidance and words, it becomes a part of their lives until they leave our care.

Some weeks ago, a student from Chile joined the class and it was great to see her being accepted by the other children. However, there were jealousies as some became more of her friend than others. Then recently, another child from Denmark came to join the class so there will be another challenge to face. It is welcoming to see new faces and making a cohesive group is more likely the goal now for the rest of the term.

But these are children, when they argue, they are resilient and more forgiving and more understanding than adults. I remember having enemies in my former workplace because of some misunderstandings. I left the school without having the opportunity to explain myself or to make amends. I was hurt by many, torn into pieces by some for their meanness and lack of empathy. I was cut by rejection and bled much by unrequited feelings. I was dealt unfairly and discriminated because of my colour. I did not heal from them nor these things were forgotten.

I am getting old, and I had mellowed down proven by the kind words I hear from the people I work with for so many years now. I still have bouts of anger but it is just for some few minutes. I still harbour ill feelings but then I feel remorse after keeping them for some time. I feel betrayed by my emotions when I recall ill moments. I wanted to change and I seek for them.

I wanted to be like the four year old children in my class. One moment arguing about a certain toy and playing the next. No bad feelings but the urge to be together, to be one again, and to enjoy the moment. A simple sorry for hurting one's feelings, a smile to share when someone is hurt, and a hug to give to make someone feel better. I wanted to be like the boy in my class who is always jovial or the girl who always have friends around her. I wanted to have good friends around me. I wanted to be happy.

6 comments:

  1. The things we learn from children.

    There's this quote from the bible saying that it'll be easier to enter God's kingdom if you'll be like a child.

    I think you somehow made me understand this.

    It's with their capability to forgive, their trust, their innocent faith in things, and so much more that makes them a wonderful specimen of things we've forgotten adults. simple things that we've somehow lost as we sought new things to learn.

    O well. I learned another today. I'll be child like in so many ways.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, being child like is the way rather than being childish. And many grown ups have been childish in their behaviour and attitude to others.

    so I am forgetting you slept on the boat while we are on a cruise and that you met me only once, ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waaaaaa! So there's the confession, you were actually pissed off? sorry!!!!!! haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we have to learn from these children coz it is not all the time that adults are right. To be happy as I have learned through the years is first to learn to accept then forget all the bad things and lift everything to Him. Then make peace with yourself. It may be hard at first but eventually you will see happiness and contentment. Love you Bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks and good luck to your coming endeavour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iam very glad that spiritually you have grown much, the reason behind that forgiving heart. That's why the LORD wants us to be like little children too in embracing HIM. lOVE U jON! Ninang Dico

    ReplyDelete