Saturday, June 25

What If?

What if... a question I posed every now and then especially when I am reflecting on things before bedtime. Thinking of having the opportunity to take another fork of the road, then I could be something else.

What if I did take a science course and finished a medical degree? It was my first choice of all the professions I knew from before. What if I continued to Religious Studies and became a priest afterwards? The possibility was there since I am a Philosophy and Oriental Religions major. What if I pursued a doctoral degree in Education? Though I am already tired of running from school to university to home, and then studying till late at night. These are the what ifs of my life. As I do not know what could be there for me upon taking another course of action, these became questions as to whether I will be more successful and happier in any of these mentioned careers.

As a medical practitioner, I could been driving a car now and running back and forth to appointments. I could be assisting missions and working for doctors without borders. As a priest, I could be quietly sitting down and meditating in a small church upcountry. Or I could be the change that the country need in order to make proposals to population issues and religious challenges. As a doctor of philosophy, I could be lecturing to professors and would be teachers in a university at this time. Also, I could be instrumental in the way educational reforms should be made to better the system.

Since I won't be going back to school, I then remain as a regular educator. An educator whose humble existence is just a minuscule compared to the outside world. Yet I still make a point to be different through my own effort: helpful (just like the doctors), mindful (just like what priests practise), and conscientious (just like what all educators should be).Lastly, I basked myself not in material wealth but in knowledge, love and patience.


Kudos to all educators!

1 comment:

  1. What greater path to be but for others...to see them grew up to be successful achievers in life and started in your classroom as toddlers...:))

    ReplyDelete